RS Freshman Hunter Callahan won his first career postseason match propelling Ohio State to 4-0 victory.
April 27, 2012
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The top-seeded Ohio State men’s tennis team advanced to the semifinals of the 2012 Big Ten Men’s Tennis Tournament Friday after netting a 4-0 shutout victory over No. 9 seed Nebraska at the Combe Tennis Center in Evanston, Ill. The No. 3 Buckeyes will meet the winner of No. 4 seed Minnesota and fifth seed Indiana at 10:30 a.m. ET Saturday.
Hunter Callahan posted a 6-3, 6-2 victory at No. 6 singles in the first postseason match of his career to give Ohio State the match-winning fourth point. The redshirt-freshman defeated Nebraska’s Tom Blackwell for his ninth-consecutive dual win to improve to 11-3 overall.
In doubles, Devin McCarthy and Ille Van Engelen, ranked 31st nationally, beat Benedikt Lindheim and Robert Schulze 8-4 on court two. The victory was the tandem’s 31st of the season, a team high, for the Buckeye duo.
Garnering the doubles point for the Scarlet and Gray was Chase Buchanan and Blaz Rola, who in addition with teammate Peter Kobelt, were named First Team All-Big Ten Thursday evening. The top-ranked pair in the country easily walked off the court after posting an 8-1 win over No. 72 Andre Stenger and Eric Sock. The triumph was the duo’s 20th dual victory of the year, all of which have been at the top position. Overall for the season, Rola has 36 doubles wins and Buchanan has a team high 37.
Van Engelen extended Ohio State’s lead to 2-0 after handing Stenger a quick 6-4, 6-1 loss at No. 4 singles. The win was Van Engelen’s eighth-consecutive en route to an overall mark of 26-6, including a 15-4 ledger at the fourth position.
At No. 5 singles, McCarthy, ranked 85th, earned his 13th-consecutive and 27th overall victory after downing Stefan Gollner 6-1, 6-4. Callahan would net the team’s fourth point shortly after to clinch the team’s semifinal berth.
- Ohio State has won 91 consecutive Big Ten matches (regular season and Big Ten tournament) and 143 of 148 contests.
- Ohio State has won 146 consecutive home matches in Columbus (19-0 in 2012).
- As the No. 3 team nationally, Ohio State is 79-3.
- Ohio State has won 71 of its last 73 regular-season (non-tournament) road contests dating back to 2006.
- The Buckeyes have won 29 doubles points out of 31 this season.
- The Buckeyes have been victorious in 47 of their previous 50 matches.
- Since 2001, Ohio State is 275-38 when ranked in the ITA Top 25. That percentage improves to 228-15 from the 2005-06 season onward.
- The Buckeyes have been ranked in the ITA Top 10 for 194 consecutive matches (beginning March 7, 2006).
- The Scarlet and Gray are 11-2 vs. teams ranked in the ITA Top 25 and 21-2 vs. teams in the Top 75.
- Blaz Rola leads the team with 29 singles wins, while Chase Buchanan leads with 37 doubles wins.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State 4, Nebraska 0
April 27, 2012 at Evanston, Ill.
(Combe Tennis Center)
1. #11 Chase Buchanan (OSU) vs. #76 Chris Aumueller (NEB) 7-5, 3-3, unfinished
2. #6 Blaz Rola (OSU) vs. Benedikt Lindheim (NEB) 6-2, 5-3, unfinished
3. #67 Peter Kobelt (OSU) vs. Robert Schulze (NEB) 6-3, 2-3, unfinished
4. #115 Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Andre Stenger (NEB) 6-4, 6-1
5. #85 Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Stefan Gollner (NEB) 6-1, 6-4
6. Hunter Callahan (OSU) def. Tom Blackwell (NEB) 6-3, 6-2
1. #1 Chase Buchanan/Blaz Rola (OSU) def. #72 Andre Stenger/Eric Sock (NEB) 8-1
2. #31 Ille Van Engelen/Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Benedikt Lindheim/Robert Schulze (NEB) 8-4
3. Peter Kobelt/Connor Smith (OSU) vs. Chris Aumueller/Stefan Gollner (NEB) 5-4, unfinished
Nebraska 11-15 (3-8 B1G)
Ohio State 30-2 (11-0 B1G)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (4,5,6)