Connor Smith and Peter Kobelt were 8-1 winners vs. Purdue in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament.
April 26, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio– The fourth-ranked and top-seeded Ohio State men’s tennis team advanced to the semifinals of the 2013 Big Ten Men’s Tennis Tournament with a 4-0 victory over ninth seed Purdue Friday at the Varsity Tennis Courts in Columbus, Ohio.
Ohio State is hosting the tournament for the first time since 2002 and has won the conference tournament eight times – 1991, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011. For more information on the 2013 Big Ten Tournament, please click HERE.
In their match vs. the Boilermakers, the Buckeyes won the doubles point for 28th time this season. No. 14 Peter Kobelt and Connor Smith defeated No. 89 Szymon Tatarczyk and Krisztian Krocsko 8-1 in the first position. Shortly after, No. 75 Devin McCarthy and Ille Van Engelen were victorious over Aaron Dujovne and Diego Accosta by a score of 8-3 on court two.
Moving on to singles, Ohio State swept the first three matches to hit four points and advance in the tournament. First, No. 88 McCarthy, playing in the fourth position, dropped only two games en route to a 6-0, 6-2 defeat of Dujovne. The next Buckeye win came on court No. 5, when Van Engelen beat Krocsko 6-1, 6-4. Clinching the match for the Scarlet and Gray, No. 12 Rola improved to 22-1 overall with a win against Mark Kovacs 6-1, 6-3.
Ohio State will face No. 4 seed Illinois at 9:30 a.m. Saturday in the semifinals. This season, the Buckeyes defeated the Fighting Illini, 4-3, April 12 in Champaign, Ill.
Tennis Match Results
Purdue vs. Ohio State
April 26, 2013 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Courts)
#1 Ohio State 4, #9 Purdue 0
1. #9 Peter Kobelt (OSU) vs. Szymon Tatarczyk (PURDUE) 7-6 (7-2), 2-0, unfinished
2. #12 Blaz Rola (OSU) def. Mark Kovacs (PURDUE) 6-1, 6-3
3. #67 Connor Smith (OSU) vs. Diego Accosta (PURDUE) 6-4, 1-1, unfinished
4. #88 Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Aaron Dujovne (PURDUE) 6-0, 6-2
5. Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Krisztian Krocsko (PURDUE) 6-1, 6-4
6. #95 Chris Diaz (OSU) vs. Mateus Silva (PURDUE) 5-5, unfinished
1. #14 Peter Kobelt/Connor Smith (OSU) def. #89 Szymon Tatarczyk/Krisztian Krocsko (PURDUE) 8-1
2. #75 Devin McCarthy/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Aaron Dujovne/Diego Accosta (PURDUE) 8-3
3. #46 Blaz Rola/Kevin Metka (OSU) vs. Pawel Poziomski/Mark Kovacs (PURDUE) 6-2, unfinished
Purdue 17-12; Big Ten Tournament Seeding #9
Ohio State 29-2; Big Ten Tournament Seeding #1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (4,5,2)
Quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament
Rankings reflect tournament standings
Official: Vince Solomon T-2:00
NCAA Singles & Doubles Updates