Ille Van Engelen won 6-1, 6-2 against Alex Pasareanu
April 14, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The fifth-ranked Ohio State men's tennis team captured its second-consecutive victory over a ranked Big Ten opponent and fifth Big Ten road win of the season with a 6-1 win over No. 34 Northwestern. The Buckeyes improve to 26-2 including a 9-0 mark in Big Ten play.
Ohio State, as they have all but two times this season, won the doubles point and began singles play up 1-0. The 32nd-ranked tandem of Devin McCarthy and Ille Van Engelen, playing in the first position, was the first Buckeye duo to claim victory with an 8-5 win over No. 68 Spencer Wolf and Alex Pasareanu. No. 16 Peter Kobelt and Connor Smith defeated Mihir Kumar and Raleigh Smith 8-5 on court No. 2 to seal the doubles point. Rounding out the doubles sweep, No. 33 Blaz Rola and Kevin Metka beat Sidarth Balaji and Chris Jackman 8-5.
Moving on to singles play, Ohio State won five consecutive points to take a 6-0 lead before stumbling in the final singles match of the afternoon. First, 63rd-ranked Smith won against Balaji 6-1, 6-1. Next, No. 9 Rola recovered from suffering his first loss of the season against Illinois Friday to dispatch Wolf by a score of 6-1, 6-2. Freshman Constantin Christ clinched the match for the Buckeyes with a 6-2, 6-3 victory vs. Jackman.
Playing out the rest of the singles matches, Ohio State went 2-1. Earning victories for the Buckeyes were Chris Diaz and No. 84 McCarthy who won 6-1, 6-2 over Pasareanu and 6-3, 6-4 Kumar, respectively. In the final match, No. 6 Kobelt dropped a closely contested match with Raleigh Smith by a 6-2, 3-6, 6-4 margin.
The Scarlet and Gray return to Columbus for their final home match of the regular season and Senior Day when they take on Michigan State at 3 p.m. April 19.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs Northwestern
April 14, 2013 at Evanston, Ill.
(Vandy Christie Tennis Center)
#5 Ohio State 6, #34 Northwestern 1
1. #9 Blaz Rola (OSU) def. Spencer Wolf (UN) 6-1, 6-2
2. Raleigh Smith (UN) def. #6 Peter Kobelt (OSU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
3. #63 Connor Smith (OSU) def. Sidarth Balaji (UN) 6-1, 6-1
4. #84 Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Mihir Kumar (UN) 6-3, 6-4
5. #61 Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Alex Pasareanu (UN) 6-1, 6-2
6. Constantin Christ (OSU) def. Chris Jackman (UN) 6-2, 6-3
1. #32 Devin McCarthy/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. #68 Alex Pasareanu/Spencer Wolf (UN) 8-5
2. #16 Peter Kobelt/Connor Smith (OSU) def. Raleigh Smith/Mihir Kumar (UN) 8-5
3. #33 Blaz Rola/Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Sidarth Balaji/Chris Jackman (UN) 8-5
Ohio State 26-2; National ranking #5
Northwestern 18-8; National ranking #34
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,1,6,5,4,2)
Buckeyes Battle to Sweep Longhorns