No. 1 Ohio State defeats No. 36 Purdue 4-3
Freshman Herkko Pollanen
April 13, 2014
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 1 Ohio State men's tennis team defeated No. 36 Purdue, 4-3, Sunday afternoon at the Schwartz Tennis Center in West Lafayette, Ind. The Buckeyes (25-3, 9-0 B1G) won their 91st-consecutive regular-season B1G match and clinched at least a share of the Big Ten regular-season title. Ohio State took the doubles point and three singles matches to defeat Purdue (15-4, 7-2 B1G).
Freshman Herkko Pollanen (Helsinki, Finland), ranked No. 74 in the nation, clinched the match for the Buckeyes, improving his season record to 10-9. With the win, Pollanen brings his B1G record to 6-3.
The doubles point got underway with senior Peter Kobelt (New Albany, Ohio) and redshirt freshman Ralf Steinbach (Halle, Germany) defeating Szymon Tatarczyk and Rickey Medinilla 8-1 on court No. 1. Redshirt junior Kevin Metka (Worthington, Ohio) and freshman Herkko Pollanen (Helsinki, Finland) claimed the doubles point for Ohio State with an 8-2 victory on court No. 3 over Mark Kovacs and Mateus Silva. Hunter Callahan (Lower Gwynedd, Pa.) and redshirt sophomore Chris Diaz (Columbus, Ohio) were tied at 5-5 with Aaron Dujovne ad Diego Acosta on court No. 2 when play was suspended.
Leading 1-0 into singles play, the Buckeyes and Boilermakers each took three first sets. No. 9 Kobelt blitzed Tatarczyk 6-1, 6-1 on court No. 1 to give Ohio State a 2-0 lead. No. 109 Callahan put Ohio State a match from victory with a 6-4, 6-0 win over Silva on court No. 6. Purdue struck back with Kovacs taking a 7-6 (7-4), 6-1 decision over Diaz on court No. 3 and Acosta downing Steinbach 6-4, 7-6 (8-6) on court No. 5. No. 74 Pollanen gave the victory to Ohio State with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Medinilla on court No. 2. Court No. 4 was last to finish with Metka falling 7-6 (7-4), 7-5 to Dujovne.
Buckeyes will return home for senior weekend, hosting Iowa at 6 p.m. April 18. and No. 62 Nebraska at Noon April 20. As always, admission is free.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs Purdue
Apr 13, 2014 at West Lafayette, Ind.
Schwartz Tennis Center
#1 Ohio State 4, #36 Purdue 3
1. #9 Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. Szymon Tatarczyk (PURDUE) 6-1, 6-1
2. #74 Herkko Pollanen (OSU) def. Ricky Medinilla (PURDUE) 6-3, 6-3
3. Mark Kovacs (PURDUE) def. Chris Diaz (OSU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
4. Aaron Dujovne (PURDUE) def. #124 Kevin Metka (OSU) 7-6 (7-4), 7-5
5. Diego Acosta (PURDUE) def. Ralf Steinbach (OSU) 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)
6. #109 Hunter Callahan (OSU) def. Mateus Silva (PURDUE) 6-4, 6-0
1. Peter Kobelt/Ralf Steinbach (OSU) def. Szymon Tatarczyk/Ricky Medinilla (PURDUE) 8-1
2. Aaron Dujovne/Diego Acosta (PURDUE) vs. Hunter Callahan/Chris Diaz (OSU) 5-5, unfinished
3. Kevin Metka/Herkko Pollanen (OSU) def. Mark Kovacs/Mateus Silva (PURDUE) 8-2
Ohio State 25-3, 9-0 Big Ten; National ranking #1
Purdue 15-4, 7-2 Big Ten; National ranking #36
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1,6,3,5,2,4)
Held outdoors at the Schwartz Tennis Center
Weather at start: 71 degrees, mostly cloudy skies with southwest winds at 18 mph
Buckeyes Open the Year at No. 2
2018 Photo Day