No. 1 Buckeyes Fall at No. 14 Kentucky, 4-1
Redshirt junior Hunter Callahan
April 9, 2014
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 1 Ohio State men's tennis team fell to No. 14 Kentucky, 4-1, Wednesday afternoon in Lexington, Ky. The Buckeyes (23-3) battled in a three and a half hour match and dropped a close doubles point that included two tiebreakers. The Wildcats (17-7) then held the momentum, claiming three singles matches to earn the victory at the Hilary J. Boone Varsity Tennis Center.
Redshirt junior Hunter Callahan (Lower Gwynedd, Pa.), ranked No. 109 in the nation, was the lone Buckeye to claim a point for Ohio State. Callahan won his 25th match of the season and 21st dual match, both tied to lead the team.
In doubles, senior Peter Kobelt (New Albany, Ohio) and redshirt freshman Ralf Steinbach (Halle, Germany) struck first with an 8-4 upset over No. 20 Tom Jomby and Kevin Lai on court No. 1. On court No. 2, Callahan and redshirt sophomore Chris Diaz (Columbus, Ohio) saved a match point before taking the set to a tiebreaker, where they had their own match point, but fell, 8-7 (8-6), to Beck Pennington and Alejandro Gomez. Redshirt junior Kevin Metka (Worthington, Ohio) and freshman Herkko Pollanen (Helsinki, Finland) battled from a break down, but fell in their own tiebreaker, 8-7 (7-4), to Ryuji Kirooka and Nils Ellefsent.
With Ohio State trailing 1-0 heading into singles play, the Buckeyes took four first sets. The Wildcats built their lead to 2-0 with No. 95 Gomez downing No. 74 Pollanen 6-2, 6-2 on court No. 2. No. 109 Callahan cut the Kentucky lead in half with a 6-0, 6-2 win over Ellefsen on court No. 6. On court No. 3, Diaz fell to No. 112 Pennington 6-4, 6-4 to put the Wildcats a point from victory. No. 9 Kobelt dropped a three-set decision on court No. 1 to No. 13 Jomby to seal the Kentucky victory. Play was suspended with No. 124 Metka a game from victory on court No. 4, while Steinbach was tied 3-3 in his final set on court No. 5.
Ohio State now looks to a home match against No. 41 University of Tulsa at 6 p.m. April 11. The Buckeyes lead the all-time series, 2-0. As always, admission is free.
Tennis Match Results
Kentucky 4, Ohio State 1
1. #13 Tom Jomby (KENTUCKY) def. #9 Peter Kobelt (OSU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
2. #95 Alejandro Gomez (KENTUCKY) def. #74 Herkko Pollanen (OSU) 6-2, 6-2
3. #112 Beck Pennington (KENTUCKY) def. Chris Diaz (OSU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Jerry Lopez (KENTUCKY) vs. #104 Kevin Metka (OSU) 6-7 (1-7), 4-5, unfinished
5. Grant Roberts (KENTUCKY) vs. Ralf Steinbach (OSU) 3-6, 6-1, 3-3, unfinished
6. Hunter Callahan (OSU) def. Nils Ellefsen (KENTUCKY) 6-0, 6-3
1. Peter Kobelt/Ralf Steinbach (OSU) def. #20 Tom Jomby/Kevin Lai (KENTUCKY) 8-4
2. Beck Pennington/Alejandro Gomez (KENTUCKY) def. Hunter Callahan/Chris Diaz (OSU) 8-7 (8-6)
3. Ryuji Hirooka/Nils Ellefsen (KENTUCKY) def. Kevin Metka/Herkko Pollanen (OSU) 8-7 (7-4)
Ohio State 23-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,6,3,1)
Buckeyes Keep Rolling, Top Gophers 6-1