Freshman Chris Diaz improved to 17-3 in dual play.
April 7, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio – In its second match of the day, the fifth-ranked Ohio State men’s tennis team beat Wright State, 4-0, Sunday night at the Varsity Tennis Center in Columbus, Ohio. Returning indoors after playing at their outdoor courts for the first time this season earlier Sunday, the Buckeyes improved to 16-0 at home and 24-2 overall. Wright State dropped to 12-8 overall and 2-6 in road matches.
Ohio State started singles play with a 1-0 lead after winning doubles for the 25th time this season. The 27th-ranked duo of Devin McCarthy and Ille Van Engelen gave Ohio State their first doubles victory when they blanked Myles Harris and Ricardo Pineda, 8-0, at No. 3 doubles. Soon after, the duo of Blaz Rola and Connor Smith dealt Jamison Clark and Hayden Joblin an 8-1 loss at No. 1 doubles. Peter Kobelt partnered with Kevin Metka, who has compiled a 22-1 record with three different teammates as doubles specialist this season, and completed the doubles sweep on court No. 3 with an 8-1 win against Lauri Makikalli and Michal Lyzwa.
Entering singles play with the 1-0 advantage, Ohio State opened up a 2-0 lead when 43rd-ranked Smith surrendered only one game in his 6-1, 6-0 defeat of Pineda at No. 3 singles. No. 59 Chris Diaz made it 3-0, also giving up just one game to Myles Harris en route to a 6-0, 6-1 decision on court No. 6. Last but not least, No. 83 McCarthy sealed his 20th win of the season and fifth clinching victory on a 6-1, 6-0 victory vs. Lyzwa in third singles. The 4-0 victory against the Raiders was the Buckeyes’ 17th shutout on the year.
The Buckeyes will travel to Champaign, Ill., for their next match vs. 28th-ranked Illinois at 4 p.m. April 12.
Tennis Match Results
Wright State vs. Ohio State
Apr 07, 2013 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
#5 Ohio State 4, Wright State 0
1. #13 Blaz Rola (OSU) vs. Hayden Joblin (WRIGHTST) 6-3, 1-2, unfinished
2. #4 Peter Kobelt (OSU) vs. Lauri Makikalli (WRIGHTST) 4-5, unfinished
3. #43 Connor Smith (OSU) def. Ricardo Pineda (WRIGHTST) 6-1, 6-0
4. #83 Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Michal Lyzwa (WRIGHTST) 6-1, 6-0
5. Hunter Callahan (OSU) vs. Evan Neuman (WRIGHTST) 6-1, 4-1, unfinished
6. #59 Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Myles Harris (WRIGHTST) 6-0, 6-1
1. Blaz Rola/Connor Smith (OSU) def. Jamison Clark/Hayden Joblin (WRIGHTST) 8-1
2. Peter Kobelt/Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Lauri Makikalli/Michal Lyzwa (WRIGHTST) 8-1
3. #27 Devin McCarthy/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Myles Harris/Ricardo Pineda (WRIGHTST) 8-0
Wright State 12-8
Ohio State 24-2; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,6,4)
Official: Vince Solomon T-1:45 A-102
ITA All-American Championship Recap
Justin Kronauge - Hall of Fame Weekend
Buckeyes Release 2016-17 Schedule