No. 1 Buckeyes Shut Out Wisconsin, 7-0
Senior Peter Kobelt
April 6, 2014
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 1 Ohio State men’s tennis team extended its Big Ten regular-season match win streak to 90-consecutive victories after defeating No. 70 Wisconsin, 7-0, Sunday afternoon at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison, Wis. With the win, the Buckeyes improve to 23-2 overall and 8-0 in Big Ten play, while the Badgers fall to 9-11 overall and 1-6 in conference action.
Senior Peter Kobelt won his 15th match at No. 1 singles to clinch match point for the Buckeyes, defeating Alexander Kokorev in straight sets 7-5, 6-1. Kobelt, a native of New Albany, is now 22-7 overall in 2014. The win for the Buckeyes was their 90th-consecutive Big Ten regular-season win, which dates back to the 2005 campaign, while the team also earns its eighth shutout of the year.
In doubles, redshirt junior Kevin Metka and freshman Herkko Pollanen got the Buckeyes off to a strong start, winning 8-4 on court No. 2 over Jakhongir Jalalov and Michael Sinha to mark their first victory when paired together this year. Redshirt junior Hunter Callahan and redshirt sophomore Chris Diaz clinched the doubles point when they won, 8-2, on court No. 3 against Elliott Sprecher and Frederik Strabo.
In singles, Callahan earned his 24th season win with a quick 6-1, 6-0 finish against Strabo on court No. 6. Steinbach followed with a straight-set win on court No. 5, 6-3, 6-3 over Sinha. After Kobelt clinched, the top-ranked Buckeyes went on to claim wins on the remaining three courts.
Metka defeated Sprecher 6-4, 6-1 to extend his win streak to seven-consecutive matches, while Pollanen won his third-in-a-row on court No. 3, downing Satral 6-3, 6-2. Diaz rounded out play for the Scarlet and Gray, winning 6-1, 7-6 (4) on court No. 3 to earn his eighth dual victory of the 2014.
The Buckeyes will finish a three-game road swing April 9 at Kentucky.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs Wisconsin
Apr 06, 2014 at Madison, Wis.
Nielsen Tennis Stadium
#1 Ohio State 7, #70 Wisconsin 0
1. #8 Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. Alexander Kokorev (WIS) 7-5, 6-1
2. Herkko Pollanen (OSU) def. Petr Satral (WIS) 6-3, 6-2
3. Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS) 6-1, 7-6 (4-0)
4. #109 Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Elliott Sprecher (WIS) 6-4, 6-1\
5. Ralf Steinbach (OSU) def. Michael Sinha (WIS) 6-3, 6-3\
6. Hunter Callahan (OSU) def. Frederik Strabo (WIS) 6-1, 6-0
1. Petr Satral/Alexander Kokorev (WIS) vs. Peter Kobelt/Ralf Steinbach (OSU) 6-4, unfinished
2. Kevin Metka/Herkko Pollanen (OSU) def. Jakhongir Jalalov/Michael Sinha (WIS) 8-4
3. Hunter Callahan/Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Elliott Sprecher/Frederik Strabo (WIS) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (6,5,1,4,2,3)
Torpegaard's Run Ends In Round of 16