Devin McCarthy improved to 17-2 in dual play
April 3, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The fifth-ranked Ohio State men's tennis team improved to 21-2 on the season with a 6-1 win over eighth-ranked Kentucky Wednesday afternoon at the Hilary J. Boone Varsity Tennis Center in Lexington, Ky.
The match-winning point was earned by Devin McCarthy, ranked 83rd, on court No. 3. The Cincinnati, Ohio, native defeated Charles Minc 6-2, 7-6. The additional singles victories needed to reach four points came first from No. 59 Chris Diaz with a 7-5, 6-0 win over Kevin Lai. Kentucky cut the Ohio State lead to one when No. 24 Tom Jomby upset fourth-ranked Peter Kobelt 6-3, 7-6 on court No. 2. Constantin Christraised the Buckeye lead to 3-1 with a 6-3, 6-3 victory against Juan Pablo Murra.
The Buckeyes won the doubles point for the 22nd time this season. Two doubles team won their respective matches, while the third match went unfinished. The 27th-ranked duo of McCarthy and Ille Van Engelen surrendered a single game en route to an 8-1 defeat of Grant Roberts and Anthony Rossi.Blaz Rola andKevin Metka recorded the second Ohio State victory as the 57th-ranked doubles team in the country. Rola and Metka were 8-4 winners over Beck Pennington and Ryuji Hirooka on court three.
Playing It Out
Although the doubles match was not played out, the teams decided to finish the remaining two singles matches. On court No. 5, the 43rd-ranked Connor Smith beat Grant Roberts 7-5, 5-7, 1-0 (10-6). In the final match, No. 13 Rola remained undefeated with a come-from-behind-victory over No. 18 Rossi 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-7).
After three-consecutive matches on the road, the Scarlet and Gray will return to Columbus for three matches at home. The first match will be against Wisconsin at 5 p.m. Friday. The next two matches will be in a doubleheader format, with Ohio State facing Minnesota at noon and Wright State at 5:30 p.m. Sunday. Matches are scheduled to be played outdoors at the Varsity Tennis Courts on Olentangy River Road. In the case of inclement or cold weather, matches will be moved indoors to The Ohio State University Varsity Tennis Center at 880 W. Henderson Road.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs. Kentucky
April 3, 2013 at Lexington, Ky.
(Boone Tennis Complex)
#5 Ohio State 6, #8 Kentucky 1
1. #13 Blaz Rola (OSU) def. #18 Anthony Rossi (UK) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-7)
2. # 24 Tom Jomby (UK) def. #4 Peter Kobelt (OSU) 6-3, 7-6
3. #83 Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Charles Minc (UK) 6-2, 7-6
4. #43 Connor Smith (OSU) def. Grant Roberts (UK) 7-5, 5-7, 1-0 (10-6)
5. #59 Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Kevin Lai (UK) 7-5, 6-0
6. Constantin Christ (OSU) def. Juan Pablo Murra (UK) 6-3, 6-3
1. #13 Peter Kobelt/Connor Smith (OSU) vs. No. 19 Tom Jomby/Kevin Lai (UK) 6-4 Unf.
2. #27 Devin McCarthy/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Grant Roberts/Anthony Rossi (UK) 8-1
3. #57 Kevin Metka/Blaz Rola (OSU) def. Beck Pennington/Ryuji Hirooka (UK) 8-4
Ohio State 21-2; National ranking #5
Kentucky 18-7; National Ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 3); Singles (5, 2, 6, 3, 4, 1)
Torpegaard's Run Ends In Round of 16