Peter Kobelt improved to 26-5 overall and 14-3 in dual play
March 29, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The seventh-ranked Ohio State men's tennis team improved to 19-2 overall, 4-0 in the Big Ten and 11-2 vs. ranked opponents with a 6-1 victory over Nebraska in Lincoln.
Clinching the match for the Buckeyes was No. 13 Blaz Rola, who was a 7-6 (2), 6-1 winner over Andre Stenger in second singles. Rola remains undefeated this season improving to 15-0 in dual play and 11-0 on court No. 1.
The Buckeyes jumped out to a 1-0 advantage with a sweep of the doubles matches. The first of three doubles victories came on court three with the tandem of Rola and Hunter Callahan winning 8-3 over Brandon Videtich and Scott Elsass. The 13th-ranked team of Peter Kobelt and Connor Smith defeated the team of Stenger and Eric Sock 8-4 on court No. 1. The 27th-ranked duo of Devin McCarthy and Ille Van Engelen completed the sweep with an 8-4 victory over Bradford Zitsch and Dusty Boyer in second doubles.
The Buckeyes won five-out-of-six singles matches vs. Nebraska. First to claim victory was No. 4 Kobelt, who won 6-1, 6-3 against Boyer on court two. Next to taste victory for the Buckeyes was 59th-rankedChris Diaz. The redshirt freshman defeated Andrew Dzulynsky 6-1, 6-0. Rola earned the fourth point for Ohio State, clinching the match as a 7-6 (2), 6-1 winner over Stenger.
Following Rola's win, the Buckeyes went 2-1 in the remaining matches. No. 83 McCarthy beat Marc Herrmann 6-3, 6-1 and Constantin Christ defeated Sebastian Florczyk 6-3, 6-2. No. 43 Smith was the only Buckeye to fall in singles play, losing 2-6, 6-4, 10-7 to Tom Blackwell.
Ohio State will continue its road trip as the team travels to Iowa City, Iowa, to face the Hawkeyes at noon Sunday.
Ohio State 6 def. Nebraska 1
Friday, March 29
17th and Vine St. Courts
#7 Ohio State 6, #57 Nebraska 1
1. #13 Kobelt/ Smith def. (NU) Andre Stenger/ Eric Sock 8-4
2. # 27 McCarthy/ Van Engelen def. (NU) Bradford Zitsch/ Dusty Boyer 8-4
3. Rola/ Callahan def. (NU) Brandon Videtich/ Scott Elsass 8-3
1. #13 Blaz Rola def. (NU) Andre Stenger 7-6 (2), 6-1
2. #4 Peter Kobelt def. (NU) Dusty Boyer 6-1, 6-3
3. #83 Devin McCarthy def. Marc Herrmann (NU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Tom Blackwell def. (Ohio) #43 Connor Smith 2-6, 6-4, 10-7
5. #59 Chris Diaz def. (NU) Andrew Dzulynsky 6-1, 6-0
6. Constantin Christ def. (NU) Sebastian Florczyk 6-3, 6-2
Ohio State 19-2; National ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,5,1,3,6,4)
JJ Wolf Wins USA34 Futures in Harlingen
Buckeyes run ends in Tulsa