Devin McCarthy earned the third singles victory, representing the fourth and match-clinching point
March 19, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 5 Ohio State men’s tennis team defeated Louisville, 6-1, Tuesday night at the Varsity Tennis Center in Columbus, Ohio. With the win, the Buckeyes improve to 16-2 overall and extend their NCAA record home win streak among active teams to 161 consecutive matches.
Another Day, Another Doubles Point
The Buckeyes started the match vs. Louisville the same way 17 of their 18 matches have begun, with the doubles win and a 1-0 lead entering singles play. First off the court for Ohio State was the 16th-ranked duo of Peter Kobelt and Connor Smith with an 8-3 victory over Alex Gornet and Sebastian Stiefelmeyer on court No. 1. At No. 2 doubles, the 28th-ranked pair of Devin McCarthy and Ille Van Engelen won 8-3 against Albert Wagner and Van Damrongsri. With the doubles point secured, the No. 51-ranked tandem of Blaz Rola and Kevin Metka completed the doubles shutout with an 8-3 defeat of Austin Siegel and Jeffrey Brown.
Ohio State built off the 1-0 lead quickly, with victories on court Nos. 1 and 3 by No. 20 Rola and Van Engelen, respectively. Rola won 6-0, 6-3 over Stiefelmeyer, while Van Engelen earned a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Michael Lippens. The third singles victory, representing the fourth and match-clinching point came from a 6-2, 6-2 victory by McCarthy. Smith, ranked 37th in the nation, was the next victorious Buckeye, defeating Siegel 6-4, 6-1. Constantin Christ then earned a 6-0, 6-3 victory against Luis Elizondo on court No. 6. Finally, the match concluded with Gornet’s 6-3, 6-7 (4-7), 1-0 (11-9) defeat of No. 45 Chris Diaz. Diaz rallied from a 6-3 deficit in the second set to force the super-tie-breaker, but ultimately came up short.
Up next, the Buckeyes will begin the heart of their Big Ten schedule when they play Purdue at 6 p.m. Friday and Indiana at noon Sunday.
Tennis Match Results
Louisville vs. Ohio State
Mar 19, 2013 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
#5 Ohio State 6, Louisville 1
1. #20 Blaz Rola (OSU) def. Seb Stiefelmeyer (LOU) 6-0, 6-3
2. #124 Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Albert Wagner (LOU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Michael Lippens (LOU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Alex Gornet (LOU) def. #45 Chris Diaz (OSU) 6-3, 6-7 (4-7), 1-0 (11-9)
5. #37 Connor Smith (OSU) def. Austin Siegel (LOU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Constantin Christ (OSU) def. Luis Elizondo (LOU) 6-0, 6-3
1. #16 Peter Kobelt/Connor Smith (OSU) def. Alex Gornet/Seb Stiefelmeyer (LOU) 8-3
2. #28 Devin McCarthy/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Albert Wagner/Van Damrongsri (LOU) 8-3
3. #51 Blaz Rola/Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Austin Siegel/Jeffrey Brown (LOU) 8-3
Ohio State 16-2; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,3,2,5,6,4)
Official: Vince Solomon A-114
Buckeyes Keep Rolling, Top Gophers 6-1