No. 1 Buckeyes Drop First Match of Season at No. 4 Oklahoma
Ralf Steinbach won his match at No. 5 singles 6-4, 6-2
March 7, 2014
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 1 Ohio State men's tennis team dropped its first match of the season Friday evening, falling, 4-1, at No. 4 Oklahoma at Gregg Wadley Indoor Tennis Pavilion in Norman, Okla. The loss snaps a 17-match win streak for the top-ranked Buckeyes (17-1), which marked the best start in program history. Ohio State is now 6-1 away from Columbus in 2014.
In doubles action, redshirt junior Hunter Callahan (Lower Gwynedd, Pa.) and freshman Herkko Pollanen (Helsinki, Finland) fell to Axel Alvarez and Guillermo Alcorta 8-4. The No. 3 duo of senior Peter Kobelt (New Albany, Ohio) and redshirt junior Kevin Metka (Worthington, Ohio) went down an early break, but fought back to a tiebreaker, winning 8-7 (7-2) over No. 46 Dane Webb and Andrew Harris. The doubles point came down to redshirt sophomore Chris Diaz (Columbus, Ohio) and redshirt freshman Ralf Steinbach (Halle, Germany), where they battled from a break behind, but fell in a tiebreaker 8-7(7-3) to No. 60 Siributwong and Nick Papac.
Down 1-0 in singles play, the Sooners jumped out to a 2-0 lead after No. 25 Harris defeated Diaz in straight sets, 6-1, 6-3. At No. 3 singles. The Buckeyes then battled back to a 2-1 margin when Steinbach downed Siributwong, 6-4, 6-2 at No. 5 singles. Steinbach improves to 14-2 in dual play in 2014. Oklahoma then took a 3-1 advantage after Callahan's 15-match win streak was snapped at No. 6 singles, falling 6-2, 7-5 to Austin Siegel. The Sooners claimed match point on No. 4 after Webb defeated Metka in straight sets, 6-4, 7-5. Kobelt's match was unfinished against third-ranked Alvarez, while Pollanen's match vs. second-ranked Alcorta also was left unfinished with the OSU freshman leading in the final set, 1-0.
The Buckeyes return to the road March 12 when they travel to Athens, Ga., to face Georgia.
1. #9 Peter Kobelt (OSU) vs. #3 Axel Alvarez - 7-6, 4-6, unfinished
2. #88 Herkko Pollanen (OSU) vs. #2 Guillermo Alcorta (OU) - 2-6, 6-4, 1-0, unfinished
3. # 25 Andrew Harris (OU) def. Chris Diaz - 6-1, 6-3
4. #24 Dane Webb (OU) def. Kevin Metka (OSU) - 6-4, 7-5
5. Ralf Steinbach (OSU) def. Peerakit Siributwong (OU) - 6-4, 6-2
6. Austin Siegel (OU) def. #72 Hunter Callahan (OSU) - 6-2, 7-5
1. #3 Peter Kobelt/Kevin Metka (OSU) def. #46 Dane Webb/Andrew Harris (OU) 8-7 (7-2)
2. Axel Alvarez/Guillermo Alcorta (OU) def. Hunter Callahan/Herkko Pollanen (OSU) 8-4
3. #60 Peerakit Siributwong/Nick Papac (OU) def. Chris Diaz/Ralf Steinbach (OSU) 8-7 (7-3)
Oklahoma 12-1; National ranking #4
Ohio State 17-1; National ranking #1
Order of Finish: Singles (3,5,6,4), Doubles (2,1,3)
Justin Kronauge - Hall of Fame Weekend
Buckeyes Release 2016-17 Schedule