The 12th-ranked tandem of Devin McCarthy and Ille Van Engelen were the first to claim victory with an 8-2 defeat of North Carolina's Nelson Vick and Maik Ulrich on court 2
Feb. 27, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The seventh ranked Ohio State men’s tennis team improved to 13-2 on the season after winning 4-1 at No. 37 North Carolina in Chapel Hill, N.C., Wednesday. The Buckeyes will look to win their second consecutive road match when they face Penn State at noon Saturday.
Chris Diaz secured the win for Ohio State after he defeated Taylor Meyer 6-4, 6-2 on court five. The redshirt freshman from Columbus, Ohio, and Bishop Watterson graduate improved to 10-2 in dual play and 7-1 in No. 5 singles.
Buckeyes Win Doubles Point
Ohio State won the doubles point for the 14th time this season. The wins against the Tar Heels came on courts Nos. 2 and 3. The 12th-ranked tandem of Devin McCarthy and Ille Van Engelen were the first to claim victory with an 8-2 defeat of North Carolina’s Nelson Vick and Maik Ulrich on court 2. At third doubles it was an 8-3 victory by Blaz Rola and Kevin Metka over Andrew Gores and Oystein Steiro that earned the Buckeyes the doubles point.
No. 2 Peter Kobelt increased the Buckeye lead to 2-0 by winning 6-3, 6-2 over Brett Clark at No. 2 singles. The next Ohio State victory came when McCarthy defeated William Parker 4-6, 6-2, 6-2. North Carolina earned its lone point when Steiro upset No. 28 Connor Smith 7-6 (8-6), 6-4. The Buckeyes bounced back with No. 40 Diaz’s victory against Meyer. With the match won, the remaining two singles matches went unfinished. Rola and Vick were at 4-6, 6-4, 2-1, while Constantin Christ and Stuart DePaolo finished at 4-6, 6-3, 2-0.
The Buckeyes will continue their road trip as they head to University Park, Pa., to take on Penn State at noon Saturday.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs. North Carolina
Feb. 27, 2013 at Chapel Hill, N.C.
(Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center)
#7 Ohio State 4, #37 North Carolina 1
1. #17 Blaz Rola (OSU) vs. #110 Nelson Vick (UNC) 4-6, 6-4, 2-1 unfinished
2. #2 Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. #124 Brett Clark (UNC) 6-3, 6-2
3. Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. William Parker (UNC) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Oystein Steiro (UNC) def. #28 Connor Smith (OSU) 7-6 (8-6), 6-4
5. #40 Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Taylor Meyer (UNC) 6-4, 6-2
6. Constantin Christ (OSU) vs. Stuart DePaolo (UNC) 4-6, 6-3, 2-0 unfinished
1. Brett Clark/William Parker (UNC) vs. #16 Peter Kobelt / Connor Smith (OSU) 4-4, unfinished
2. #12 Devin McCarthy / Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Nelson Vick/Maik Ulrich (UNC) 8-2
3. Blaz Rola / Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Andrew Gores/Oystein Steiro (UNC) 8-3
Ohio State 13-2; National ranking #7
North Carolina 7-3; National ranking #37
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (2,3,4,5)
Buckeyes Down Michigan State 7-0
Buckeyes Fall 4-3 at No. 8 Texas