No. 1 Buckeyes Top Indiana, 5-2, in B1G Opener
Under head coach Ty Tucker, Ohio State is 133-11 (.923) vs. Big Ten schools.
Feb. 24, 2014
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 1 Ohio State men's tennis team (15-0, 1-0 Big Ten) netted a 5-2 victory over No. 58 Indiana (7-6, 0-1 Big Ten) Monday afternoon in Bloomington, Ind. The victory over the Hoosiers extended the Buckeyes' regular-season conference win streak to 83-consecutive matches, which dates back to the 2005 campaign.
Senior Peter Kobelt (New Albany, Ohio) claimed match point for the second time in three days, defeating Sam Monette 6-2, 6-7 (4-7), 6-3 at No. 1 singles to improve to 9-1 in the dual season.
In doubles action, the No. 2 duo of Kobelt and Kevin Metka (Worthington, Ohio) were first off court, defeating Daniel Bednarczyk and Sam Monette 8-7(7-3) on No. 1, saving a match point when serving down, 6-7. Redshirt junior Hunter Callahan (Lower Gwynedd, Pennsylvania) and freshman Herkko Pollanen (Helsinki, Finland) then fell to Sven Lalic and Dimitrije Tasic on court No. 2, 8-3. The doubles point came down to court No. 3, where redshirt sophomore Chris Diaz (Columbus, Ohio) and redshirt freshman Ralf Steinbach (Halle, Germany) fell to Stefan Lugonjic and Chris Essick, in a close 8-7 (7-5) finish.
Down 1-0 in singles play, Ohio State rebounded quickly and collected first set wins in five of six matches. Steinbach was the first to finish on court No. 5 and won in straight sets 6-2, 6-2 against Elliott Yee. Callahan then followed on court No. 6 with his 13th-consecutive win with a 6-2, 6-4 score against Essick. On court No. 3, Pollanen put the Buckeyes within one point of the road win with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Tasic. After earning the win, play was completed on courts No. 2 and 4, respectively. Metka lost to Bednarczyk 6-3, 5-7, 6-2 on court No. 4, snapping a 12-match win streak for the OSU redshirt junior, while Diaz earned the win on court No. 2, winning 7-6, 6-7 (3-7), 1-0 (10-4).
Ohio State will next host No. 28 North Carolina at 6 p.m. at the Varsity Tennis Center. . As always, admission is free.
BIG TEN DOMINANCE
- 109-4 (.964) regular-season record vs. Big Ten opponents since the start of the 2003 season.
- Buckeyes have won 83-consecutive regular season league matches, dating back to the 2005 campaign.
- Ohio State has won 44-consecuitve regular season road conference matches, dating back to the 2005 season.
- Under Ty Tucker, Ohio State is 133-11 (.923) in Big Ten play.
No. 1 Ohio State 5, No. 58 Indiana 2
Feb. 24, 2014
1. #23 Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. Sam Monette (IND) 6-2, 6-7 (4-7), 6-3
2. Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Sven Lalic (IND) 7-6 (7-5), 6-7 (3-7), 10-4
3. Herkko Pollanen (OSU) def. Dimitrije Tasic (IND) 6-3, 6-4
4. Daniel Bednarczyk (IND) def. Kevin Metka (OSU) 6-3, 5-7, 6-2
5. Ralf Steinbach (OSU) def. Elliott Yee (IND) 6-2, 6-2
6. Hunter Callahan (OSU) def. Chris Essick (IND) 6-2, 6-4
1. #2 Peter Kobelt/Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Sam Monette/Daniel Bednarczyk (IND) 8-7 (7-3)
2. Dimitrije Tasic/Sven Lalic (IND) def. Hunter Callahan/Herkko Pollanen (OSU) 8-3
3. Stefan Lugonjic/Chris Essick (IND) def. Chris Diaz/Ralf Steinbach (OSU) 8-7 (7-5)
Indiana 7-6; National ranking #58
Ohio State 15-0; National ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,6,3,1,4,2)
Justin Kronauge - Hall of Fame Weekend
Buckeyes Release 2016-17 Schedule