CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 3 Ohio State men’s tennis team opened the ITA National Indoor Team Championship on Friday morning with a convincing 4-0 sweep of No. 14 Oklahoma at the Boar’s Head Sports Center.
The win improves the Buckeyes to 11-0 on the season and advances them to Saturday’s quarterfinals where they will meet Oklahoma State at 9 a.m. The Cowboys downed Northwestern 4-2 on Friday morning.
In the doubles point, the Buckeye tandem of Matt Mendez and Hunter Tubert raced to a 6-0 victory on court three over A.J. Chamdani and Adrian Oetzbach. The match on court two was a tight one between Buckeyes Martin Joyce and Hugo Di Feo and Sooners Alex Gihlea and Florin Bragusi. The match was on serve until the Sooner duo won the final two games of the set to take it 7-5.
That left the doubles point to court one. Mikael Torpegaard and Herkko Pollanen went up two breaks early but Sooners Spencer Papa and Andrew Harris battled back to even the set at 5-5. The Buckeye duo then broke back to take a 6-5 lead and Pollanen followed with a beautiful service game to win the set and give Ohio State the first point.
In singles, each team would win three of the six first sets. Di Feo was the first to finish as he picked up his 11th win of the season with a 7-5, 6-3 victory over No. 24 Papa. Joyce followed quickly with the third Buckeye point as he posted a workman-like 6-1, 6-3 win over Oetzbach on court five.
The clinching point came from the country’s No. 2-ranked player as Torpegaard parlayed a first-set tie-break win into a 6-1 second set victory over No. 29 Harris. That was Torpegaard’s 14th win this season and he’s now 7-0 at the No. 1 spot in dual matches.
Freshman JJ Wolf fell 7-5 in the first set to Alex Ghilea and was on serve 4-4 in the second. Pollanen was in a second set tie-breaker with Bragusi after dropping the opening set 6-2. On court six, redshirt-freshman Kyle Seelig lost the opening set to Jochen Bertsch in a tie-breaker and was up a break at 4-2 in the second when the match was halted.
Saturday’s match with Oklahoma State will be just the second meeting all-time between the two schools. The Cowboys won the only other meeting 6-3 during the 1987 season.
#3 Ohio State 4, #14 Oklahoma 0
1. #2 Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) def. #29 Andrew Harris (OU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
2. #8 Hugo Di Feo (OSU) def. #24 Spencer Papa (OU) 7-5, 6-3
3. JJ Wolf (OSU) vs. Alex Ghilea (OU) 5-7, 4-4, unfinished
4. #47 Herkko Pollanen (OSU) vs. #105 Florin Bragusi (OU) 2-6, 6-6, unfinished
5. #77 Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Adrian Oetzbach (OU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Kyle Seelig (OSU) vs. Jochen Bertsch (OU) 6-7 (5-7), 4-2, unfinished
1. #38 Mikael Torpegaard/Herkko Pollanen (OSU) def. #42 Spencer Papa/Andrew Harris (OU) 7-5
2. Alex Ghilea/Florin Bragusi (OU) def. #25 Hugo Di Feo/Martin Joyce (OSU) 7-5
3. Matt Mendez/Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. A.J. Chamdani/Adrian Oetzbach (OU) 6-0
Oklahoma 7-2; National ranking #14
Ohio State 11-0; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,5,1)
NCAA Singles & Doubles Updates