The match came down to a three-set battle between No. 2 Peter Kobelt and No. 1 Alex Domijan with the team score tied at 3-all
Feb. 17, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The fourth ranked Ohio State men's tennis team dropped a hard fought 4-3 decision to No. 1 Virginia Sunday in the semifinals of the 2013 ITA National Team Indoor Championship. With the loss, the Buckeyes fall to 10-2 on the season, while the Cavaliers improve to 5-0.
On the campus of the University of Washington in Seattle, the match came down to a three-set battle between No. 2 Peter Kobelt and No. 1 Alex Domijan with the team score tied at 3-all. After losing the first set, 6-3, Kobelt rallied to win the second set by the same score. However, the Buckeye from New Albany, Ohio, lost a 7-5 decision in the final and deciding set.
Buckeye Duos Dominate
Ohio State had not lost a doubles point in the 2013 edition of the championship and that streak continued against Virginia. The first of two doubles victories needed to claim the point came when Blaz Rola and Kevin Metka defeated Domijan and Mitchell Frank 8-4. The second Buckeye win came via an 8-6 upset of No. 15 Justin Shane and Julen Uriguen by Devin McCarthy and Ille Van Engelen. The No. 36 ranked tandem of Kobelt and Connor Smith were leading 7-6 over No. 4 Jarmere Jenkins and Mac Styslinger, but did not finish.
Rola was the first Buckeye to claim victory for Ohio State and gave the Scarlet and Gray a 2-0 lead with his 6-4, 6-2 defeat of No. 7 Jenkins at No. 1 singles. The Buckeyes then dropped three consecutive matches starting with Justin Shane's victory over Hunter Callahan 7-5, 6-3, on court No. 6. Next, No. 37Chris Diaz dropped a 6-4, 7-6 (8-6) decision to No. 25 Ryan Shane at No. 5 singles. The third Cavalier point came at the No. 3 position - a win by Mitchell Frank against McCarthy 6-4, 6-2. The Buckeyes tied the match, 3-3, with a win by No. 30 Smith over No. 5 Styslinger 6-4, 7-6, on court No. 4 before the showdown at No. 2 singles.
Ohio State will come back to Columbus for two home matches against Notre Dame at noon Feb. 23 and LSU at noon Feb. 24. Both matches will be held in the Varsity Tennis Center.
2013 ITA National Indoor Championships
Feb. 17, 2013
Nordstrom Tennis Center
University of Washington
No. 1 Virginia 4 (5-0), No. 4 Ohio State 3 (10-2)
1. No. 62 Blaz Rola def. No. 7 Jarmere Jenkins (Virginia), 6-4, 6-2
2. No. 1 Alex Domijan (Virginia) def. No. 2 Peter Kobelt, 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
3. Mitchell Frank (Virginia) def. Devin McCarthy, 6-4, 6-2
4. No. 30 Connor Smith def. No. 5 Mac Styslinger (Virginia), 6-4, 7-6
5. No. 25 Ryan Shane (Virginia) def. No. 37 Chris Diaz, 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)
6. Justin Shane (Virginia) def. Hunter Callahan, 7-5, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 6, 5, 3, 4, 2
1. No. 36 Peter Kobelt / Connor Smith vs. No. 4 Jarmere Jenkins / Mac Styslinger (Virginia), 7-6 (unfinished)
2. Devin McCarthy / Ille Van Engelen def. No. 15 Justin Shane / Julen Uriguen (Virginia), 8-6
3. Blaz Rola / Kevin Metka def. Alex Domijan / Mitchell Frank (Virginia), 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2