Playing No. 2 doubles, Devin McCarthy and Ille Van Engelen were successful, helping Ohio State to a 4-0 win vs. No. 5 Pepperdine Saturday.
Feb. 16, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio– After recording its second consecutive shutout, the fourth ranked Ohio State men’s tennis team advanced to the semifinals of the 2013 ITA National Team Indoor Championship Saturday at the Nordstrom Tennis Center in Seattle, Wash. The Buckeyes defeated No. 5 Pepperdine, 4-0, on the University of Washington campus and will face the winner between No. 1 Virginia and No. 9 Duke at 5:30 p.m. EST Sunday.
The Scarlet and Gray improved to 10-1 on the season, while the Waves dropped to 6-1. Ohio State and Pepperdine will meet again this season March 12 in Malibu, Calif.
Hunter Callahan and Chris Diaz once again won their respective singles matches to help lift the Buckeyes to their eighth shutout of the season. Improving to 10-4 overall and 4-1 at No. 6 singles, Callahan clinched the win for the Scarlet and Gray with his 7-5, 7-5 victory vs. David Sofaer. Playing at the No. 5 position, Diaz, ranked 37th in the nation, downed Mousheg Hovhannisyan, 6-1, 6-3 en route to recording his 15th win of the season (15-2) and fifth (5-0) on court No. 5.
Connor Smith, No. 30 in the nation, garnered the first win for Ohio State in singles play when he handed Francis Alcantara a 6-0, 6-3 loss at No. 3 singles. With his victory, Smith not only propelled Ohio State to a 2-0 lead, but also improved to 16-4 overall and 5-0 at the No. 3 position.
Two of the three remaining Buckeyes were winning their respective matches. At No. 1 singles, Blaz Rola, ranked No. 62, was leading fourth-ranked Sebastian Fanselow, 6-3, 4-4 and Devin McCarthy held the lead over No. 89 Alex Sarkissian, 7-6(4), 2-2 at No. 3 singles.
Ohio State was closer to victory after winning the doubles point on courts two and three. Rola and Kevin Metka made quick work of Pepperdine’s pair of Sofaer and Hovhannisyan, 8-0, at No. 3 singles to give the Scarlet and Gray a slight edge. The Buckeye duo of McCarthy and Ille Van Engelen helped give Ohio State a 1-0 lead when they defeated Fanselow and Sarkissian, 8-4, at No. 2 doubles.
2013 ITA National Indoor Championship
Feb. 16, 2013
Nordstrom Tennis Center
University of Washington
No. 4 Ohio State 4 (10-1), No. 5 Pepperdine 0 (6-1)
1. No. 62 Blaz Rola vs. No. 4 Sebastian Fanselow (Pepperdine), 6-3, 4-4 (unfinished)
2. No. 2 Peter Kobelt vs. No. 105 Finn Tearney (Pepperdine), 6-2, 2-6, 1-2 (unfinished)
3. Devin McCarthy vs. No. 89 Alex Sarkissian (Pepperdine), 7-6(4), 2-2 (unfinished)
4. No. 30 Connor Smith def. Francis Alcantara (Pepperdine), 6-0, 6-3
5. No. 37 Chris Diaz def. Mousheg Hovhannisyan (Pepperdine), 6-1, 6-3
6. Hunter Callahan def. David Sofaer (Pepperdine), 7-5, 7-5
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 6
1. No. 36 Peter Kobelt / Connor Smith vs. Finn Tearney / Francis Alcantara (Pepperdine), 7-7 (unfinished)
2. Devin McCarthy / Ille Van Engelen def. Sebastian Fanselow / Alex Sarkissian (Pepperdine), 8-4
3. Blaz Rola / Kevin Metka def. David Sofaer / Mousheg Hovhannisyan (Pepperdine), 8-0
Order of Finish: 3, 2
Torpegaard's Run Ends In Round of 16