Feb. 14, 2014
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 5 Ohio State men's tennis team posted a 4-1 win vs. No. 12 Florida in the opening round of the 2014 ITA National Team Indoor Championship Friday morning in Houston, Texas. The Buckeyes (10-0) will face the winner of No. 4 Georgia/No. 13 Texas at Noon CST Saturday in the quarterfinals.
Ohio State claimed its first road win fo the year by clinching the doubles point out right, followed by three singles victories.
In doubles action, redshirt senior Peter Kobelt (New Albany, Ohio) and redshirt junior Kevin Metka (Worthington, Ohio), who shot up to No. 2 in the ITA doubles rankings this week, were first to win for Ohio State, defeating No. 24 Stephane Piro and Michael Alford 6-4 on court No. 1. Redshirt junior Hunter Callahan (Lower Gwynedd, Pennsylvania) and freshman Herkko Pollanen (Helsinki, Finland) clinched the doubles point with a 6-3 win on court No. 2 over Gordon Watson and Maxx Lipman. Redshirt sophomore Chris Diaz (Columbus, Ohio) and redshirt freshman Ralf Steinbach (Halle, Germany) were leading Diego Hidalgo and Florent Diep 5-3 when play was called.
In singles play, the Buckeyes and Gators each took three first sets, but No. 23 Kobelt was first to finish, downing No. 55 Stephane Piro on court No. 1 6-2, 6-2. Steinbach was next to finish, defeating Diep 6-3, 6-2 on court No. 4 to put the Buckeyes ahead, 3-0. At singles No. 6, Callahan sealed the Buckeye victory with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Alford for his second-consecutive clinch and third overall of the season. Pollanen fell just before the match point to Gordon Watson, 6-4, 6-5 (7-5) on No. 3. The remaining two matches were left unfinished. Diaz trailed by a set when play was called on court No. 2. Metka lost his first set, but rallied to take the second and was tied in the third when Callahan clinched.
No. 5 Ohio State 4, No. 12 Florida 1
2014 ITA National Indoor Championships
Feb. 14, 2014|
Downtown Club in the Met and the Galleria Tennis and Athletic Club
1. #23 Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. #55 Stephane Piro (UF) 6-2, 6-2
2. Chris Diaz (OSU) vs. Diego Hidalgo (UF) 5-6, 3-5, unfinished
3. Gordon Watson (UF) def. Herkko Pollanen (OSU) - 6-4, 6-5 (7-5)
4. Ralf Steinbach (OSU) def. Florent Diep (UF) 6-3, 6-2
5. Kevin Metka (OSU) vs. Maxx Lipman (UF) 3-6, 6-3, 2-2, unfinished
6. Hunter Callahan (OSU) def. Michael Alford 6-4, 6-4
1. #2 Peter Kobelt/Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Stephane Piro/Michael Alford (UF) 6-4
2. Hunter Callahan/Herkko Pollanen (OSU) def. Gordon Watson/Maxx Lipman 6-
3. Chris Diaz/Ralf Steinbach (OSU) vs. Diego Hidalgo/Florent Diep 5-3, unfinished
Florida 4-4; National ranking #12
Ohio State 10-0; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (1,4,3,6)