In front of a season high crowd of 505, the Buckeyes extended their home win streak to 156 consecutive matches
Feb. 3, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio – In a highly anticipated matchup, the fourth ranked Ohio State men’s tennis team came away with a victory over a Top 10 opponent when it defeated No. 6 Georgia, 5-2, Sunday in the Varsity Tennis Center. In front of a season high crowd of 505, the Buckeyes extended their home win streak to 156 consecutive matches. In their first match of the season vs. a Top 25 program, the Scarlet and Gray improved to 8-0 overall in 2013.
Doubles No Trouble
Ohio State earned the first point of the match by winning in doubles action on courts three and one. The duo of Blaz Rola and Kevin Metka defeated Eric Diaz and Garrett Brasseaux 8-3, while the tandem of Peter Kobelt and Connor Smith upset the fifth ranked team of Hernus Pieters and Ben Wangland 8-3.
The Buckeyes defeated two of the three Bulldogs ranked in the Top 20 of the ITA singles poll. No. 13 Smith clinched the match for Ohio State with his victory over No. 16 Pieters 6-4, 6-1. Devin McCarthy was the first Buckeye to claim a singles victory with his defeat of Wangland 6-3, 6-3 on court three, while No. 30 Chris Diaz followed suit with his victory against Austin Smith 6-1, 6-4.
Rounding out singles play, Rola upset No. 19 Nathan Pasha 6-3, 7-5, Kobelt, ranked No. 1, was dealt his first loss of the spring season by No. 8 KU Singh 7-5, 7-6 (10-8) and In the final singles match of the day Hunter Callahan went to a super tie-breaker before falling to Nick Wood 6-7 (5-7), 6-4, 1-0 (10-3).
Top 5 Dominance
The victory over Georgia improved Ohio State’s record vs. Top 25 competition since 2000 to 104-47 (.688). The Buckeyes also boast a 6-3 record vs. opponents that are ranked sixth in the country.
In its first road trip of the season, Ohio State will travel to College Station, Texas, where it will face Texas A&M at 1 p.m. ET on Feb. 10.
Tennis Match Results
Feb. 3, 2013 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
#4 Ohio State 5, #6 Georgia 2
1. #8 KU Singh (UG) def. #1 Peter Kobelt (OSU) 7-5, 5-7, 1-0 (10-8)
2. Blaz Rola (OSU) def. #19 Nathan Pasha (UG) 6-3, 7-5
3. Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Ben Wagland (UG) 6-3, 6-3
4. #13 Connor Smith (OSU) def. #16 Hernus Pieters (UG) 6-4, 6-1
5. #30 Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Austin Smith (UG) 6-1, 6-4
6. Nick Wood (UG) def. Hunter Callahan (OSU) 6-7 (5-7), 6-4, 1-0 (10-3)
1. Peter Kobelt/Connor Smith (OSU) def. #5 Hernus Pieters/Ben Wagland (UG) 8-3
2. Devin McCarthy/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) vs. KU Singh/Nathan Pasha (UG) 5-6, unfinished
3. Blaz Rola/Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Eric Diaz/Garrett Brasseaux (UG) 8-3
Georgia 3-1; National ranking #6
Ohio State 8-0; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,5,4,2,1,6)
Official: Vince Solomon T-3:30 A-505
Torpegaard's Run Ends In Round of 16