The No. 4 Buckeyes extended their home win streak to 157 consecutive matches
Jan. 27, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The fourth-ranked Ohio State men's tennis team defeated Toledo, 4-0, Sunday at the Varsity Indoor Tennis Center. The victory was the second of the day for the Buckeyes, who improved to 7-0 on the spring season and extended their home win streak to 157consecutive matches. The match also was part of the Buckeyes' "Go Pink" initiative, which supported the Stefanie Spielman Fund for Breast Cancer Research at the OSU Comprehensive Cancer Center James Cancer Hospital & Solove Research Institute at the Wexner Medical Center. Ohio State donned pink headbands and wristbands and a raffle was organized with proceeds supporting the Spielman Fund.
Buckeyes Defeat Rockets
Peter Kobelt and Connor Smith teamed up to defeat Tomas Stillman and Nicholas Wong 8-1 as the first Buckeye duo off the courts. Playing at No. 3 doubles was the pair of Blaz Rola and Kevin Metka and they were victorious over Grant Adams and Francisco Stuardo 8-2, earning the doubles point for the Scarlet and Gray.
The Buckeyes needed only three singles matches to claim victory over the Rockets. Hunter Callahanwon in straight sets against Roberto Meza 6-0, 6-0. Rola was next to win for Ohio State, dropping only one game to Stillman en route to a 6-1, 6-0 victory. Capturing the fourth and final point for the Buckeyes was the No. 1 Kobelt as he defeated Stuardo 6-1, 6-2.
Up Next for the Buckeyes
Ohio State will take on No. 8 KU Singh, No. 16 Hernus Pieters, No. 19 Nathan Pasha and the rest of the sixth-ranked Georgia Bulldogs at noon Feb. 3.
Tennis Match Results
Toledo University vs Ohio State
Jan 27, 2013 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
Ohio State 4, Toledo University 0
1. Blaz Rola (OSU) def. Tomas Stillman (UT) 6-1, 6-0
2. Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. Francisco Stuardo (UT) 6-1, 6-2
3. Connor Smith (OSU) vs. Grant Adams (UT) 7-5, 0-1, unfinished
4. Ille Van Engelen (OSU) vs. Nicholas Wong (UT) 6-3, 3-2, unfinished
5. Hunter Callahan (OSU) def. Roberto Meza (UT) 6-0, 6-0
6. Constantin Christ (OSU) vs. Bryant Dudzik (UT) 6-0, 3-0, unfinished
1. Peter Kobelt/Connor Smith (OSU) def. Tomas Stillman/Nicholas Wong (UT) 8-1
2. Devin McCarthy/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Bryant Dudzik/Terence Weigand (UT) 8-4
3. Blaz Rola/Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Grant Adams/Francisco Stuardo (UT) 8-2
Toledo University 5-3
Ohio State 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,1,2)
Official: Vince Solomon T-1:53 A-110