The No. 4 Buckeyes improved to 6-0 on the Spring Season
Jan. 27, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The fourth-ranked Ohio State men’s tennis team defeated Miami, 7-0, Sunday at the Varsity Indoor Tennis Center in the ITA Kick-Off championship match. With the victory, Ohio State improved to 6-0 on the spring season and clinched a spot in the ITA National Team Indoor Championship Feb. 15 in Seattle, Wash.
ITA Kick-Off Championship
Ohio State recorded another shutout, its second of the tournament and fifth in six matches. Peter Kobelt and Kevin Metka were the first Scarlet and Gray duo to win in the doubles portion of the match, defeating Diego Soto and Henrique Tsukamoto 8-3. Securing the doubles point for the Buckeyes was the tandem of Blaz Rola and Connor Smith. Rola and Smith defeated Omar Aly and Gabriel Flores 8-4.
Courts 6 and 5 were the first to finish in singles action as Hunter Callahan defeated William Albanese 6-0, 6-0 and Chris Diaz, ranked 30th in the nation, earned a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Marco Stancati. Rola improved to 2-0 this spring season with a win over Soto 6-0, 6-3. Both of Rola’s wins have come at No. 1 singles. The top-ranked Kobelt defeated Wilfredo Gonzales 6-1, 6-2 at the No. 2 singles position. Smith, ranked No. 13, won vs. Victor Mauz 6-2, 6-2, while Devin McCarthy and Flores needed a super-tiebreaker to decide the outcome of court 3. McCarthy came out on top 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7).
Up Next for the Buckeyes
Ohio State concludes a busy weekend of tennis as they face Toledo at 7 p.m. Sunday in the Varsity Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
Miami, Fla. vs Ohio State
Jan 27, 2013 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
#4 Ohio State 7, #64 Miami, Fla. 0
1. Blaz Rola (OSU) def. Diego Soto (MIA) 6-0, 6-3
2. #1 Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. Wilfredo Gonzales (MIA) 6-1, 6-2
3. Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Gabriel Flores (MIA) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7)
4. #13 Connor Smith (OSU) def. Victor Mauz (MIA) 6-2, 6-2
5. #30 Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Marco Stancati (MIA) 6-1, 6-0
6. Hunter Callahan (OSU) def. William Albanese (MIA) 6-0, 6-0
1. Devin McCarthy/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) vs. Wilfredo Gonzales/Marco Stancati (MIA) 5-5, unfinished
2. Blaz Rola/Connor Smith (OSU) def. Omar Aly/Gabriel Flores (MIA) 8-4
3. Peter Kobelt/Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Diego Soto/Henrique Tsukamoto (MIA) 8-3
Miami, Fla. 2-2; National ranking #64
Ohio State 6-0; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,5,1,2,4,3)
Official: Vince Solomon T-2:30 A-115