Ty Tucker Wins 400th as Buckeyes Advance to ITA National Team Indoors
Director of tennis and head coach Ty Tucker claimed his 400th win at Ohio State Sunday night vs. Toledo
Jan. 26, 2014
- Follow the Buckeyes on Twitter
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 5 Ohio State men’s tennis team claimed two wins Sunday at the Varsity Indoor Tennis Center, including director of tennis and head coach Ty Tucker’s 400th of his career at Ohio State. The Buckeyes (5-0) defeated No. 48 Louisville, 4-1, in the championship match of the 2014 ITA Kick-Off before posting a 4-0 shutout against Toledo in the nightcap.
With the win over the Cardinals, Ohio State advances to the ITA National Team Indoor, to be hosted by Texas A&M University Feb. 14-17 in Houston. The victory over the Rockets marked the 400th of Tucker’s career, while the Scarlet and Gray extended their home win streak to 177-consecutive matches. The nine-time Big Ten Coach of the Year is now 400-61 at Ohio State.
“I was pleased with our effort today and I thought we did a good job against a tough Louisville team,” Tucker said. “We had several guys that have not really been battle tested and it’s nice to start the year 5-0. You will win some tennis matches when you have talented players and assistant coaches. It’s great to be at a place like Ohio State that has the resources to play big time college tennis.”
Ohio State 4, Louisville 1
In doubles action, the No. 7 duo of senior Peter Kobelt (New Albany, Ohio) and redshirt junior Kevin Metka (Worthington, Ohio) raced out to a 5-0 lead before defeating Seb Stiefelmeyer and Van Damrongsri 6-1 on court No. 1. Redshirt sophomore Chris Diaz (Columbus, Ohio) and redshirt freshman Ralf Steinbach (Halle, Germany) then clinched the doubles point for the second consecutive match with a 6-2 victory on court No. 3 over Alex Gornet and Luis Elizondo. Redshirt junior Hunter Callahan (Lower Gwynedd, Pennsylvania) and freshman Herkko Pollanen (Helsinki, Finland) trailed Albert Wagner and Chris Simich 5-2 when play was suspended
In singles play, the Buckeyes won the first set in four of the six matches. Metka was first off of the court with a 6-2, 6-3 win against Simich. Lousiville cut the lead in half with Gornet’s 6-2, 6-2 win over Steinbach. Moments later, Diaz outsmarted Wagner 6-0, 6-4 to put Ohio State up 3-1. Pollanen then sealed the victory for the second time this season with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Damrongsri. Kobelt, the No. 31 player in the country, was a set and a break up against Stiefelmeyer and Callahan was down a set but up a break in the second set when play was suspended.
Tennis Match Results
Louisville vs Ohio State
Jan 26, 2014 at Varsity Tennis Center (Columbus, Ohio)
#5 Ohio State 4, #48 Louisville 1
1. #31 Peter Kobelt (OSU) vs. Seb Stiefelmeyer (LOU) 6-5 (7-3), 4-2, unfinished
2. Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Albert Wagner (LOU) 6-0, 6-4
3. Herkko Pollanen (OSU) def. Van Damrongsri (LOU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Alex Gornet (LOU) def. Ralf Steinbach (OSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Chris Simich (LOU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Hunter Callahan (OSU) vs. Michael Lippens (LOU) 5-6 (2-7), 4-1, unfinished
1. #7 Peter Kobelt/Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Seb Stiefelmeyer/Van Damrongsri (LOU) 6-1
2. Hunter Callahan/Herkko Pollanen (OSU) vs. Albert Wagner/Chris Simich (LOU) 2-5, unfinished
3. Chris Diaz/Ralf Steinbach (OSU) def. Alex Gornet/Luis Elizondo (LOU) 6-2
Louisville 3-1; National ranking #48
Ohio State 4-0; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (5,4,2,3)
Official: Vince Solomon
Ohio State 4, Toledo 0
In doubles play, Metka and Diaz were first off of the court with a 6-2 win over Ben Brocker and Boris Pak on court No. 3. On court No. 2, Kobelt and Steinbach put the Buckeyes up 1-0 with a 6-3 victory over Garret Cona and Stjepan Sisko. The match between Callahan and Marko Goles-Babic and Mark Singnil and Nicky Wong on court No. 1 was suspended with the Buckeyes up 4-3.
In singles action, Metka won the first eleven games of the match before winning 6-0, 6-1 over Cona on court No. 4. Callahan gave the Buckeyes a 3-0 lead with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Pak on court No. 6. Steinbach clinched the match with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Wong on court No. 3. On court No. 1, No. 31 Kobelt led Singnil 6-3, 5-4 when play was called. Pollanen led Sisko on court No. 2 6-3, 4-3 and Goles-Babic was up 3-6, 6-1, 4-1 on court No. 5 when play was suspended.
After the Toledo match, Ohio State will host a doubleheader on Feb. 4 against Youngstown State and Wright State. Combined the Buckeyes have an 11-0 record against the two, with the Scarlet and Gray leading the Penguins 3-0 and the Raiders 8-0, respectively. As always, admission is free.
1. #31 Peter Kobelt (OSU) vs. Mark Singnil (TOL) 6-2, 5-4, unfinished
2. Herkko Pollanen (OSU) vs. Stjepan Sisko (TOL) 6-3, 4-3, unfinished
3. Ralf Steinbach (OSU) def. Nicky Wong (TOL) 6-3, 6-4
4. Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Garrett Cona (TOL) 6-0, 6-1
5. Marko Goles-Babic (OSU) vs. Roberto Meza (TOL) 3-6, 6-1, 4-1, unfinished
6. Hunter Callahan (OSU) def. Boris Pak (TOL) 6-2, 6-0
1. Hunter Callahan/Marko Goles-Babic (OSU) vs. Mark Singnil/Nicky Wong (TOL) 4-3, unfinished
2. Peter Kobelt/Ralf Steinbach (OSU) def. Garrett Cona/Stjepan Sisko (TOL) 6-3
3. Chris Diaz/Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Ben Brocker/Boris Pak (TOL) 6-2
Ohio State 5-0; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (4,6,3)