No. 13 Connor Smith defeated Zeeshan Ismail 6-0, 6-3
Jan. 24, 2013
Columbus, Ohio – The fourth ranked Ohio State men’s tennis team defeated the Youngstown State, 7-0 to improve to 3-0 on the spring season. No. 30 Chris Diaz Clinched the match with a win over Dawoud Kabl 6-0, 6-3.
Kabli and teammate Sebastian Hagn also fell to the Ohio State tandem of Devin McCarthy and Ille Van Engelen in first doubles by a score of 8-2. Van Engelen continued winning for the Buckeyes, defeating Silviu Mistreanu 6-0, 6-0 in first singles. McCarthy won his singles match over Hagn 6-1, 6-0 on court two. No. 13 Connor Smith remained undefeated, beating Zeeshan Ismail in third singles 6-0, 6-3. Smith and Diaz also teamed up to defeat Silviu Mistreanu and Felipe Rosa 8-0 in doubles action.
Tough at Home
The 7-0 victory over Youngstown State marks the second time in three matches at the VTC the fourth ranked Buckeyes have defeated an opponent without surrendering a point. The Buckeyes also won at least one singles set 6-0, in every singles match vs. Youngstown State.
No. 4 Ohio State competes in the second match of the doubleheader at the VTC when they face Cleveland State at 6 p.m Thursday.
Tennis Match Results
Youngstown State vs Ohio State
Jan 24, 2013 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
#4 Ohio State 7, Youngstown State 0
1. Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Silviu Mistreanu (YSU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Sebastian Hagn (YSU) 6-1, 6-0
3. #13 Connor Smith (OSU) def. Zeeshan Ismail (YSU) 6-0, 6-3
4. #30 Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Dawoud Kabli (YSU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Hunter Callahan (OSU) def. Rodrigo Campos (YSU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Constantin Christ (OSU) def. Felipe Rosa (YSU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Devin McCarthy/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Sebastian Hagn/Dawoud Kabli (YSU) 8-2
2. Kevin Metka/Hunter Callahan (OSU) def. Rodrigo Campos/Zeeshan Ismail (YSU) 8-3
3. Connor Smith/Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Silviu Mistreanu/Felipe Rosa (YSU) 8-0
Youngstown State 0-1
Ohio State 3-0; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,4,1,2,6,3)
Torpegaard's Run Ends In Round of 16