No. 4 Ohio State Defeats Xavier, 6-1
Jan. 16, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 4 Ohio State men's tennis team won its second match of the day Wednesday and of the 2013 spring season with a 6-1 win over Xavier at the Varsity Tennis Center in Columbus, Ohio. The Buckeyes won each of their doubles matches, with the tandem of Ille Van Engelenand Devin McCarthy clinching the doubles point by winning 8-3. In singles action, Ohio State won five of six matches.
Including their win against Butler earlier in the day (7-0), the Buckeyes improved to 2-0 on the early season and won their 152nd consecutive match in Columbus.
Clinching the match for the Buckeyes was McCarthy, who defeated Zach Mueck 6-3, 6-3. After the Buckeye victory was secured, No. 1 Peter Kobelt, the top-ranked singles player in the nation, improved to 16-3 on the season by defeating Jimmy Roebker 7-5, 6-3.
In doubles play, the duo of Kevin Metka and Hunter Callahan was first to claim victory for Ohio State, giving up only one game to Brandon McDonald and Mueck en route to an 8-1 victory. Van Engelen and McCarthy were next to win for Ohio State. Engelen and McCarthy defeated Philip Diaz, brother of current Buckeye Chris Diaz, and Mesa Mei, 8-4. Although the doubles point was already in hand, Ohio State improved to 3-0 in doubles play when Kobelt and Smith beat Patrick Bandy and Roebker, 8-5.
The first Buckeye to win in singles play, Diaz defeated McDonald 6-3, 6-2, giving Ohio State a 2-0 lead. Playing at No. 2 singles, Van Engelen fell to Mei 6-4, 6-2. Then the 13th ranked singles player in the country, Connor Smith, was victorious over Adam Krull 6-2, 6-2. Freshman Constantin Christ was victorious for the second time Wednesday and the last Buckeye to claim victory when he defeated Freddy Abunku 6-2, 6-4.
Ohio State will hit the courts again for another doubleheader Jan. 24 vs. Youngstown State and Cleveland State. Ohio State will play YSU at 2 p.m. before hosting the Vikings at 6:30 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Xavier vs. Ohio State
Jan. 16, 2013 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
#4 Ohio State 6, Xavier 1
1. #1 Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. Jimmy Roebker (XU) 7-5, 6-3
2. Mesa Mei (XU) def. Ille Van Engelen (OSU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Zach Mueck (XU) 6-3, 6-3
4. #30 Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Brandon MacDonald (XU) 6-3, 6-2
5. #13 Connor Smith (OSU) def. Adam Krull (XU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Constantin Christ (OSU) def. Freddy Abunku (XU) 6-2, 6-4
1. Peter Kobelt/Connor Smith (OSU) def. Patrick Bandy/Jimmy Roebker (XU) 8-5
2. Ille Van Engelen/Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Philip Diaz/Mesa Mei (XU) 8-4
3. Kevin Metka/Hunter Callahan (OSU) def. Brandon MacDonald/Zach Mueck (XU) 8-1
Ohio State 2-0; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,2,5,3,1,6)