Sept. 17, 2012
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State men’s soccer team looks for its third win in a row when it meets Louisville at 7 p.m. Tuesday night at Cardinal Park in Louisville, Ky. The Buckeyes sit at 3-3-1 on the season after defeating DePaul Friday evening and currently have four players with a team-leading two goals to their credit.
- Live video will be available via UofLsports.com, and linked through the front page and men’s soccer schedule page of OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
- The live stats link also can be found there with additional updates available on Twitter (@OhioState_MSOC).
SETTING THE SCENE
- Ohio State has won back-to-back contests, defeating San Diego State (2-1, Sept. 9) and DePaul (2-1, Sept. 14) for its first consecutive games won this season.
- Four Buckeyes – Louie Berra, Sebastian Rivas, Kenny Cunningham and Alex Bujenovic – lead the team with two goals apiece, while Berra has an additional assist to his credit for a team-best five points. Austin McAnena, Yianni Sarris and Adam Gorski all have a team-high tying two assists.
- Alex Wimmer and Alex Ivanov had split time between the pipes thus far. Wimmer has played in four games and owns a 1.75 goals against average, while Ivanov has seen action in three games and owns a 1.52 goals against average.
- Five players have started all seven games – seniors Rivas, Chris Gomez and Chris Hegngi, junior Sage Gardner and freshman Zach Mason.
SCOUTING THE CARDINALS
- The Cardinals enter the game Tuesday with an overall record of 3-3-0 after splitting a pair of games last week. They defeated Wake Forest 3-2 in double overtime and before falling to Kentucky, 1-0.
- Three Cardinals lead the team in scoring with Greg Cochrane, Ryan Smith and Dylan Mares all holding four points to their credit. Cochrane and Smith have each scored two goals while Mares has one goal and two assists.
- Cardinal keeper Joachim Ball owns a 1.30 goals against average with one shutout on the year.
- Series history: Ohio State holds a narrow 7-6-3 edge in the series, although the Cardinals have won the last two in the. The Cardinals own a 5-2-2 record at home against the Buckeyes.
LAST TIME OUT
- The Buckeyes defeated DePaul 2-1 Friday night at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.
- Louie Berra and Kenny Cunningham tallied the Buckeye scores, lifting the team to its second victory in a row and a 3-3-1 record on the season, while the Blue Demons drop to 2-4-0 on the year.
- Berra's goal came midway through the first half and allowed the Buckeyes a little breathing room after a back and forth half. Cunningham then seemingly put the game away in the opening ticks of the 90th minute; however, DePaul added a goal with two seconds remaining to foil what would have been the team's first shutout of the year.
- Alex Wimmer made his fourth start of the season between the pipes and ended the night with eight saves, including one in the 88th minute which kept the Blue Demons from leveling the score at one.
- Ohio State opens the Big Ten season at 1 p.m. Sunday against Indiana at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.
- The game will be televised live on BTN with Dan Kelly and Kevin Egan calling the action.
- Prior to the contest, players and coaches from both teams will participate in the third annual Kids Kicking Cancer clinic at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center. Photos from last year’s event can be viewed here.