Sept. 13, 2012
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State men’s soccer team hosts DePaul at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. The Buckeyes and Blue Demons both enter the match with 2-3-1 records and are coming off 2-1 victories in their respective last contests.
- Live video with audio provided by Scarlet & Gray radio will be available via BigTenNetwork.com, and linked through the front page and men’s soccer schedule page of OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
- The live stats link also can be found there with additional updates available on Twitter (@OhioState_MSOC).
IN A NUTSHELL
- The Buckeyes split their games in California last weekend, falling to San Diego, 2-0, Sept. 7 before defeating San Diego State, 2-1, last Sunday.
- Alex Wimmer was named the most outstanding defensive player for the tournament, which also included Houston Baptist, while Louie Berra, Chris Gomez and Chris Hegngi each were named to the all-tourney team.
- Sebastian Rivas and Alex Bujenovic lead the Buckeyes with two goals apiece, while Berra has three points to his credit off one goal and one assist. Five additional Buckeyes have two points to their names with Yianni Sarris and Adam Gorski both leading the squad with a pair of assists.
- Five players have started all six games – seniors Rivas, Gomez and Hegngi, junior Sage Gardner and freshman Zach Mason.
- In goal, both Wimmer (2.00 GAA, .647 save pct.) and Alex Ivanov (1.52 GAA, .815 save pct.) have made three starts this season.
SCOUTING THE BLUE DEMONS
- DePaul is coming of a mid-week, 2-1 win over cross-town rival Loyola. Down 1-0, the Blue Demons came back with a penalty kick by Antonio Aguilar and a goal from Brian Schultz in the 81st minute for the win.
- Thiago Ganancio has a team-high two goals in three games played, while three others have added single tallies. DePaul is being outscored 8-5 on the young season.
- Among common opponents, DePaul bested UIC 2-1 in its season opener, before the Flames came to Columbus and defeated the Buckeyes, 2-0, Aug. 26 in the OSU home opener.
- Series history: The Blue Demons and Buckeyes have faced each other once in program history, with the Buckeyes coming away with a 1-0 win Sept. 4, 1988
- The Buckeyes have an 80-28-18 record in Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium since the facility opened in 1999, including at least six wins in each of the last five seasons. The Buckeyes were 6-2 at JOMS last season and 1-1-1 so far this year.
LAST TIME OUT
- Louie Berra had a goal and an assist to lead Ohio State to a comeback win at San Diego State, 2-1, last Sunday afternoon at the SDSU Sports Deck in San Diego, Calif.
- Joshua Breto joined Berra in the box score with his first score of the season, equalizing the match late in the first half of play.
- Once trailing, SDSU fired off 11 shots down the stretch, but Alex Wimmer came up with three critical saves to keep them finding a second score. Wimmer finished his third start of the season with six saves.
- All men’s soccer alumni are invited back for the weekend of Oct. 5-7 to partake in a golf outing, the Nebraska football game and the Buckeyes’ home game vs. Michigan State. For more information, visit the Alumni and Friends page on OhioStateBuckeyes.com -- go.osu.edu/MSOCalumni
- Junior Sage Gardner and seniors Chris Gomez and Austin McAnena were selected as captains for the 2012 campaign.
- The trio have combined for 153 career starts in 166 games played with Gardner (45) starting every game of his career.
QUITE A CREW
- The 2012 roster boasts five players to come through the Columbus Crew Academy system, including junior Sage Gardner who has helped a Crew Juniors team to a national title in each of the last two summers and senior Chris Gomez who joined Gardner for the 2011 title.
- Sophomore Alex Bechtol, who transferred to Ohio State from Bowling Green, and freshmen Zach Mason and Raymond Olivarria each have spent time with the Crew.
- John Bluem enters his 16th season as head coach of the Buckeyes in 2012. He has collected a 162-111-41 record during that span and holds all eight of the program's NCAA Tournament appearances and all five combined Big Ten regular-season and tournament titles to his credit.
- With six years at Fresno State also on his résumé, Bluem has a 248-138-53 career record, a win total which is No. 24 among active NCAA coaches and a percentage which stands at No. 30.
- In its second season, Connor's Crew is the official student support section of Ohio State soccer. The branch of "Block O" is named for former Buckeye Connor Senn, who passed away Sept. 26, 2001 from a heart abnormality after collapsing during an OSU match.
- For more information on the group, visit its Facebook page.
- Following the match vs. DePaul, the Buckeyes will face Louisville at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 18 at Cardinal Park in Louisville, Ky.
- The Cardinals are currently 3-2 on the season heading into a meeting tonight against Kentucky.
- Check OhioStateBuckeyes.com for video and live information for the OSU-UofL game.
Buckeyes Head to Michigan Friday Night
Buckeyes Edged at No. 4 Louisville, 2-1
Buckeyes Shut Out Oakland, 3-0