March 6, 2014
This weekend marks the final home games for the 2014 Buckeye men’s hockey senior class, as Ohio State hosts No. 1 Minnesota in a Big Ten Conference series at 7:30 p.m. Friday and 6:30 p.m. Saturday in Value City Arena in Columbus.
This week, the four seniors will look back on their time wearing the Scarlet and Gray. Today’s featured senior is Alex Szczechura, a native of Brantford, Ontario. He has played in 125 games at Ohio State and the 2013 Unsung Player has 66 career points, with 31 goals and 35 assists, including back-to-back 20-point campaigns, as a Buckeye. A consumer and family financial services major, Szczechura is a four-time Ohio State Scholar-Athlete and three-time Academic All-Big Ten choice who will graduate later this year. Unfortunately, Szczechura was injured Sunday vs. Michigan and is not likely to play this weekend vs. Minnesota.
Read on for a Q&A with Szczechura:
1. What is the most rewarding part of being a Buckeye?
Being able to play hockey for one of the best schools in the country.
2. Is there a meaning behind your jersey number?
There is no meaning behind my number. It was one of the only numbers I could choose from.
3. What plans do you have after graduating?
Continue to play hockey.
4. What basic rules does your coach try to instill in you on and off the ice?
Don't take shortcuts.
5. What is something your hometown is known for?
It’s the home of Wayne Gretzky.
6. What do you love most about the sport?
The camaraderie of the team, being around your buddies all the time trying to accomplish the same goal and the great times you have on and off the ice.
7. How have you grown as a hockey player from freshman year until now?
I have gotten stronger physically as well as mentally.
8. What is one of your most memorable goals during a game?
Scoring the overtime winner at home against Michigan my freshman year. (RECAP)
9. How did you decide to major in Consumer and Family Financial Services?
I wanted to learn about personal finance so I can be smart with my money.
10. Do you remember the first moment when you became interested in the sport?
Not exactly sure, but probably watching my brother play it all the time got me interested.
Gameweek Video - Minnesota
Trio Signs with Ohio State Men’s Hockey
Lampasso Social Media Takeover