COLUMBUS, Ohio – Sean Romeo, a redshirt junior goalie on the No. 5/6-ranked Ohio State men’s hockey team, was named Big Ten First Star of the Week Tuesday after allowing just three goals in the Buckeyes’ sweep of No. 20 Michigan last weekend. This is the third B1G weekly honor for Romeo, who is in the Top 10 nationally in goals-against average and save percentage, this season.
Romeo, from Cary, North Carolina, had a .952 save percentage and 1.50 goals-against average in the two games vs. Michigan combined. Friday he stopped all 32 Wolverine shots he faced to record his second career shutout and first in Big Ten play. Saturday he had 28 saves, including 17 in the third period, as the Buckeyes wrapped up the weekend and regular season series sweep of the Wolverines, who entered the series averaging 3.33 goals per game. He and the Buckeye penalty kill were 7-for-7 in the series.
On the year, Romeo has a 1.99 goals-against average, .927 save percentage and 14-5-4 record.
The Buckeyes This Weekend
Ohio State, 17-5-4 on the year and 8-5-1-0 in the Big Ten to stand in second place, will close out its four-game homestand with two games vs. Michigan State this weekend. The teams will meet at 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday in Value City Arena.
Friday promotions include …
• Military Appreciation. All current and former military members receive two free tickets by showing their ID at the ticket office on game night. Military members will also receive 10 percent off concessions at the game.
• Shoe Drive. Fans are encouraged to bring gently used shoes for donation to Soles4Souls.
• Hockey Hour. From 6-7 p.m., there will be fun activities on the concourse and discounts on drinks at the concession stands
• Postgame Goals. Youth are invited to shoot on the Buckeye goal following the game. No skates needed!
Saturday promotions include …
• Teddy Bear Toss. Bring a new stuffed animal (wrapped in a plastic bag) to throw on the ice during the first intermission. All animals collected will be donated to Ronald McDonald House in Columbus.
• Family and Friends Packs. Ticket packages, which include a game ticket, hot dog, 16 ounce soda and popcorn, are available for groups of 3-9. The packages must be purchased online by noon Friday. Use the code FAMILY on Ticketmaster to access the deal.
• $1 Dog Day. Hot dogs will be available for just $1 (while supplies last).
• Meet and Greet. Select Buckeyes will be available on the concourse for a meet and greet postgame.
Ohio State Announces 2018-19 Slate
Jobst Named to Buckeye Power Club
Weis Signs with Chicago Wolves