20 Buckeyes named Ohio State Scholar-Athletes
Sophomore forward posted 47 points for Frozen Four squad
Buckeyes will take on Minnesota Duluth Thursday in semifinals
Ohio State captured the Midwest Regional
The Buckeyes head to Saint Paul, Minnesota for the national semifinals
Jobst, Laczynski, Romeo - NCAA Frozen Four Preview
Tanner Laczynski - NCAA Midwest Regional Preview
Laczynski - Big Ten Tournament Championship Game Preview
Tanner Laczynski - Michigan Home Series Preview
Tanner Laczynski - Penn State Home Series Preview
The Buckeyes and Bulldogs clash for the right to play in the national championship.
Ohio State faced Princeton in the PPL Center in Allentown, Pa.
Ohio State won 4-3 in overtime to advance to the tournament semifinals (Photo credit Mac Connor)
Ohio State Wins B1G Tournament Quarterfinal Game One, 6-2
Ohio State posted a 4-0 win over Wisconsin on Senior Night
Attracted to Ohio State because it is in the Big Ten, the coaches, the atmosphere and the size of the school … started skating at age 4 because he loved it the first time he went; got into the game because of his parents … played with Buckeye junior Brandon Kearney with the Chicago Steel … lists the best thing about hockey as “the feeling you get every time you step on the ice is indescribable and why you love to play”… Pick one: Movie – Step Brothers; Television Show – The Office; Celebrity – Blake Lively; Home cooked meal – pasta and chicken; Magazine – Sports Illustrated; Vacation Spot – Florida; Professional Team – Philadelphia Flyers; Snack Food – Chips and salsa.
Ohio State Career: 2018 Second Team All-American and First Team All-Big Ten ... Big Ten and NCAA Midwest Regional All-Tournament Team honoree in 2018 ... Academic All-Big Ten selectino and two-time Ohio State Scholar-Athlete ... won gold medal with United States at 2017 World Junior Championship ... voted team's Most Valuable Freshman for 2016-17.
NHL: Drafted by Philadelphia in the sixth round of the 2016 NHL Entry Draft (No. 169) … attended team’s development camp in Summer 2017.2017-18 (Sophomore Season):
- Second Team West All-American
- First Team All-Big Ten, Top 3 finalist for Big Ten Player of the Year
- 8 points (3g, 5a) in postseason, earning B1G All-Tournament Team and NCAA Midwest Regional All-Tournament Team honors
- After 5-game scoreless streak 2/3-17, had 5g, 5a, 10p in last 9 games combined (with point in 6 of the 9 games); Ended season on 5-game point streak (2g, 4a, 6p)
- Career-high 47 points, with 17 goals and 30 assists, in 41 games, with all 47 points coming in last 36 outings (1.27 ppg since Oct. 19, 8th in NCAA among all players in that span)
-+19 mark (t-19th in NCAA)
- Point in all but 13 games during the season
- 17th in NCAA, 3rd in B1G in points per game (1.15), t11th in NCAA in points and assists
- 1.05 career points per game ranks 11th among current NCAA sophomores/juniors/seniors, 78 career points ranks 2nd among current NCAA sophomores
- Finished Big Ten play t-3rd in points (25), ranking 5th in assists (16) and t-9th in goals (9)
- Named to NCAA Midwest Regional All-Tournament Team; 3 points in regional; Goal and an assist vs. Princeton, Assist vs. Denver; +3 in the two games combined (+2 vs. DU)
- B1G All-Tournament Team selection after 4 points (1g, 3a) in tournament
- Set up overtime gamewinner vs. Michigan in B1G semifinals 3/10 - Goal and an assist vs. Michigan State 3/2
- Scored twice vs. Wisconsin 2/23, including a power play goal - Goal in game one and assist in game two vs. Michigan 1/26-17
- B1G Second Star of the Week after 5 points (goal, 4 assists) at Penn State 1/12-13; 2 assists in each game, with goal in game two
- 4 points at Michigan State 1/5-6; Goal and an assist in game one, 2 assists in game two
- Scored GWG with 6.3 seconds left vs. Niagara 12/29 - 3 points vs. Minnesota 12/8-9; Goal in game one, goal and an assist in game two, with +3 mark
- Goal and 2 assists for 3 points vs. Penn State 12/1
- B1G Second Star of the Week 11/27 after 4 points in sweep of Michigan; assist in game one before gamewinning goal and 2 assists in game two; +2 and 6 shots in each game
- 2 assists in first game at UConn 11/10 and scored lone goal in game two 11/11
- NCAA First Star and B1G Second Star 10/31 after 5 points and +5 mark in sweep of Robert Morris; goal and two assists at home in game one and then scored twice in final 2:31 (breaking 1-1 tie, then ENG with :08 left) on the road
- 4 assists in series at UMass 10/20-21; second career 3-assist game in game two and was +3 in the contest
- Assist vs. Penn State 12/1 was 50th point of his career (came in game No. 49)
2016-17 (Freshman Season): Posted 32 points, with 10 goals and 22 assists, while playing in 34 games ... fourth in points among B1G rookies and 11th among NCAA freshmen with .94 points per game ... +20 on the year, ranking sixth in the Big Ten and 22nd in the NCAA ... three gamewinning goals ... 10 multiple point outings ... missed games because of World Junior Championship and illness ... won gold medal with U.S. National Junior Team at World Junior Championship Dec. 26-Jan. 55; goal and an assist while playing in six tournament games (missed semifinal game with illness) ... B1G Third Star of the Week Nov. 22 after four points at RPI Nov. 18-19; goal and an assist in each game, with +2 mark; scored gamewinner in third period in game two ... scored vs. Michigan State in B1G Tournament quarterfinals March 16 ... four points, with a goal and three assists, at Minnesota Dec. 3, posting +3 mark ... five points and +5 in sweep at Niagara Oct. 28-29; two assists and +3 in game one, with three points, on a goal and two assists, in game two ... assist vs. both Denver and Air Force in Ice Breaker Tournament in first collegiate games ... four points in sweep of Bowling Green Oct. 21-22, with goal and an assist in each game; scored gamewinner in the third period in road victory ... three points in series vs. Minnesota Feb. 10-11, with a goal and an assist in opener and helper in game two ... two assists vs. UConn Nov. 11 ... goal and an assist at Michigan State Feb. 17 ... scored sudden victory shootout winner at Miami Oct. 15 ... assist in NCAA Tournament game vs. Minnesota Duluth March 24 ... earned Ohio State Scholar-Athlete honors ... selected by his teammates as the squad's Most Valuable Freshman.
Prior to Ohio State: Participated in 2016 USA Hockey National Junior Evaluation Camp ... finished regular season fourth in scoring in the USHL with 63 points, scoring 24 goals and adding 39 assists ... started 2015-16 with Chicago Steel, serving as an alternate captain, and had 40 points, on 13 goals and 27 assists, in 52 games ... ended year with Lincoln Stars and had 23 points (19g, 11a) in 19 regular season games ... chosen for USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game in January ... competed with the U.S. Junior Select Team at the 2015 World Junior A Challenge ... 2015 USHL All-Rookie Second Team honoree after posting 28 points, with 18 goals and 28 assists, in 57 regular season games ... skated in two games for the Steel in2013-14 ... 2014 CCM/USA Hockey All-American Prospects Game participant and played in 2015 USHL/NHL Top Prospects game in January 2015 ... named 2015 Junior Club World Cup Best Forward in late August after posting a goal and seven assists for eight points in the tournament ... skated for Team USA in 2015 Hlinka Memorial Tournament ... played for Chicago Mission organization and won 16U national championship.
Off the Ice: Son of Ken and Dawn … has a sister, Payton, and a brother, Hayden … has three dogs, Porsche, Buerhle and Lilly … a hidden talent is singing.
Buckeye Hockey Update
Academic Standouts Recognized