Ohio State Concludes Regular Season at Minnesota Saturday
Freshman Drew Moling
March 23, 2012
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 6 Ohio State men’s gymnastics team concludes the 2012 regular season in a tri-meet at No.6 Minnesota at 8 p.m. ET Saturday at the Sports Pavilion in Minneapolis, Minn. No. 1 Oklahoma also will be in action against the Buckeyes and Gophers.
• Senior captain Ty Echard was named a 2012 Nissen-Emery Award Finalist this week by the College Gymnastics Association.
• The squad ranks No. 6 in the GymInfo national rankings released March 19 with a 344.400 four-score average.
• The Buckeyes are polled in the Top 10 in all six events as a team.
• The Scarlet and Gray are third in the country on pommel horse with a 58.067 four-score average.
• Senior captain Ty Echard is fifth in the nation on pommel horse with of 15.150 four-score average. Sophomore Michael Newburger is tied for 12th overall (14.533).
• Echard helped the Buckeyes post a team record 61.05 on pommel horse March 9 on Senior Night vs. No. 4 Stanford after scoring a school record 15.9 on the event.
• Junior captain Blaize Monks is tied for 13th on high bar with a 14.417, while freshman Danny Steiner is seventh in the nation on floor exercise with a 15.15.
• Freshman Larry Mayer is 11th in the nation on vault with a 14.933 four-score average.
• The Buckeyes posted a season-high 347.750 team score vs. Oklahoma Jan. 21 in the season opener at St. John Arena.
• The Buckeye freshman class has claimed 23 Top 5 finishes through six regular season meets. Steiner leads the 2015 class with 10 Top 5 marks.
• Ohio State began the season winning the 2012 Windy City Invitational Jan. 14 with a 344.500 team score.
NISSEN-EMERY AWARD FINALIST
Senior captain Ty Echard was named a 2012 Nissen-Emery Award Finalist this past week by the College Gymnastics Association. The Scarlet and Gray have produced a candidate to the award's finalists list 11 of the last 14 seasons. Echard was named an All-American in both the 2009 and 2011 campaigns after placing third on pommel horse in both the 2009 and 2011 NCAA Championships. A two-time All-Big Ten honoree, Echard holds the school record on the event with a 15.9 set in his final meet at St. John Arena against Stanford March 9. Overall, Echard has won 11 pommel horse titles in his career.
LAST TIME OUT
The Buckeyes fell to No. 4 Stanford, 355.800-347.400, March 9 at St. John Arena in Columbus, Ohio. Ty Echard set a school record on pommel horse with a 15.9, while the team claimed a program-record 61.05 on the event. The Buckeyes also posted a season high of 58.10 on rings, with senior Philip Onorato set an individual team best of 15.25 for the season. Sophomore Misha Koudinov tallied an 84.25 in the all-around competition.
Freshman Danny Stiener led the team on floor exercise for third place with a 15.25. The Buckeyes swept the Top 3 on pommel horse with Echard placing first, junior John Laing taking second with a career-high 15.4 and redshirt sophomore Michael Newburger claiming third place with a 15.2. Sophomore Misha Koudinov tied for second overall on parallel bars with a 14.75.
The Buckeyes begin postseason competition April 6-7 at the 2012 Big Ten Championships in Iowa City, Iowa.