Duo set to compete at Senior Pan American championships Aug. 27-Sept. 1
Sean Melton, Jacob Dastrup and Andrew Rickly signed NLIs for the 2014 season
Sharipov signs Jake Martin from Oviedo, Fla.
Buckeyes in action at 2 p.m. ET Thursday in NCAA Qualifier at Oklahoma
Big Ten Network will broadcast championships live Friday and Saturday
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (614) 292-9581
Casimiro Suarez was named assistant coach of the Ohio State men's gymnastics team in the summer of 2011 and is in his sixth season with the Buckeyes.
Suarez, a native of Havana, Cuba, came to Ohio State after coaching at Orlando Metro Gymnastics in Florida from 2002-2011. A U.S. Junior National Team coach since 2004, he was named the Junior Olympic coach of the year in 2010. Suarez served as the Cuban women's national team coach from 1991-1994, was the Brazilian women's national team coach from 1995-1998, and also spent three seasons at Oklahoma as an assistant coach for the women's team from 1998-2000. Suarez coached former Buckeye Tai Lee to many prestigious awards, including the state and regional eight champion and a 10.0 honor awarded to the region's outstanding high school senior in academics and gymnastics.
As a gymnast, Suarez was a member of the Cuban National Team for 16 years and won nine all-around national titles. He competed in the 1980 Olympic Games in Moscow, finishing sixth on high bar. Suarez also participated in the world championships seven times.
Suarez has a degree from the School of Superior Physical Education in Havana, Cuba, and brings more than 20 years of coaching experience to Columbus.
• Has more than 20 years of coaching experience at the junior, collegiate and international levels
• U.S. junior national team coach since 2004
• 2010 Junior Olympic Coach of the Year
• Coach at Orlando Metro Gymnastics, 2002-2011
• Head Coach - Cuba women's national team, 1991-1994
• Head Coach - Brazil women's national team, 1995-1998
• Assistant Coach - University of Oklahoma women's team, 1998-2000
• First coach to claim team championships at both the junior and senior levels at Pan American Games with Brazil national team (1996-junior; 1997-senior)
• Assistant Coach, 2014 Senior Pan American Championships (with Sean Melton)
• Coached Olympic qualifier Soraya Carvalho in 1996
• Member of the 1980 Cuban National Team at the Olympics Games in Moscow, placing sixth on high bar
• Spent 16 years as a member of the Cuban National Team
• Nine-time all-around national champion (1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987)
• Competed in seven World championships
• Two-time all-around champion at Pan-American Games (1979 and 1983)
• Claimed team gold medal with Cuban national team at 1991 Pan-American Games, placing second on vault
• Claimed first place on high bar at 1986 World Cup
• Notched a perfect 10.0 on high bar at the 1981 World Championships in Moscow
• Competed in three World University Games championships (1981, 1983 and 1985)
• Two-time record in all sport competitions in all competing athletes with 19 medals (13 gold, five silver and one bronze)
• Posted six gold medals and one bronze medal in a 1983 competition
• Selected as a Top 10 Athlete in Latin America in both 1979 and 1983
• Holds the all-time record new elements in gymnastics code 5 known as "Suarez" (five on high bar and three parallel bars elements; currently has two on high bar and three on parallel bars)
Melton Named Big Ten Gymnast of the Week