Oct. 13, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State men's golf team rounded out its time at the Rod Myers Invitational in eighth place with a score of 15-over 879. Hosted by Duke at the Duke University Golf Club in Durham, N.C., the two-day, 54-hole tournament concluded Sunday with the Buckeyes carding an 11-over 299 in the final round of competition.
Junior Boo Timko led the way for the Buckeyes with a 6-under 210 performance. In the third round of play, Timko tallied a 3-under 69, which helped him achieve a fourth-place finish in the individual standings. He dropped 12 birdies on the par 72, 7,154-yard course, including seven in the second round.
Following Timko on the Buckeye leaderboard was sophomore Max Rosenthal. Recording a 6-over 78 in the third round, Rosenthal held on to 32nd-place with a 6-over 222 total. Freshman Clark Engle wasn't far behind, earning 9-over 225 for a 46th-place finish. Engle had a consistent opening to his Buckeye career, picking up a 3-over 75 in each round of play.
Also scoring for the Scarlet and Gray were sophomore Tee-k Kelly and freshman Frederik Hammer. Kelly carded a 13-over 229 overall for 52nd-place; Hammer dropped a 5-over 149 over two rounds after being disqualified in the first.
In the individual standings, junior Trey Sullivan placed 63rd with a 22-over 238 total.
Northwestern ran away with the team title, recording a solid 10-under 854. The Wildcats also took home the individual championship with Matt Fitzpatrick and Jack Perry standing together on top the leaderboard with identical 9-under 207 totals.
The Buckeyes will return to competition with the Royal Oaks Intercollegiate in Dallas, Texas Oct. 28-29.
Rod Myers - Rounds 1, 2 & 3
Duke University Golf Club - Durham, N.C.
Par 72, 7,154 yards
1. Northwestern: 283-280-291-854 (-10)
2. Baylor: 294-281-282-857 (-7)
3. Duke: 297-281-287-865 (+1)
4. Liberty: 294-282-293-869 (+5)
5. North Carolina: 285-290-295-870 (+6)
6. Charlotte: 288-291-294-873 (+9)
7. East Carolina: 293-285-296-874 (+10)
8. Ohio State: 298-282-299-879 (+15)
9. Iowa: 300-290-293-883 (+19)
10. Pacific: 294-290-302-886 (+22)
11. Tulsa: 302-290-297-889 (+25)
4. Timko: 76-65-69-210 (-6)
32. Rosenthal: 73-71-78-222 (+6)
46. Engle: 75-75-75-225 (+9)
52. Kelly: 74-78-77-229 (+13)
63. Sullivan: 85-76-77-238 (+22)
Buckeyes Cap Season on a High Note