Palm Coast, Fla. – The Ohio State men’s golf team won a pair of matches on the opening day of the Big Ten Match Play Championship at the Hammock Beach Club in Palm Coast, Fla., on Friday.
The Buckeyes beat Michigan 5-1 in the morning match and Maryland 4-2 in the afternoon match. The nine total points has the Buckeyes in second place in the East Division behind Michigan State which won 10 points in Friday. Penn State is in third place at 6.5 points.
Ohio State will take on Iowa in the morning match on Saturday while Michigan State will play Penn State. The Hawkeyes won just 3.5 points on Friday.
After the morning matches, the East Division teams will be paired against a team from the same standing in the West Division for the final match Saturday afternoon.
The Buckeyes rolled to a decisive 5-1 victory in the morning match vs. Michigan. In the feature match at No. 1, Daniel Wetterich claimed a 3 & 2 victory over Kyle Mueller who was the conference’s highest ranked player in the Golfstat rankings coming into the week.
Caden Orewiler fell 3-down early in the match but won five holes in a seven-hole span to take control and eventually pull out a 2 & 1 victory over Ian Kim. Will Grimmer won four-straight holes against Nick Carlson to turn a 2-down deficit into a 2-up lead. He would hold on down the stretch for the 1-up victory. Will Voetsch was the only Buckeye to taste defeat in the morning, falling 4 & 2 to Brent Ito.
- Daniel Wetterich (OSU) def. Kyle Mueller (UM) 3 & 2
2. Will Grimmer (OSU) def. Nick Carlson (UM) 1-up
3. Caden Orewiler (OSU) def. Ian Kim (UM) 2 & 1
4. Brent Ito (UM) def. Will Voetsch (OSU) 4 & 2
5. Jeg Coughlin III (OSU) def. Henry Spring (UM) 4 & 3
6. Josh Wick (OSU) def. Charlie Pilon (UM) 4 & 2
Ohio State capped a solid day by taking down Maryland 4-2. The match didn’t start out well for the Buckeyes as they trailed early in five of the six matches. But big runs helped them turn around most of those leads and ultimately take the match.
One guy who didn’t struggle in the afternoon was the only guy who did in the morning. Will Voetsch ran out to a 5-up lead through the first nine holes and cruised home to a 4 & 2 victory over Tim Colanta. Will Grimmer went 2-down through eight holes and was trailing most of the match until he won the final three holes to comeback for a 2-up victory over David Kocher.
Jeg Coughlin III and Kevin Stone both dug themselves holes but used huge rallies to take control of their matches. Coughlin III won seven of the final nine holes to erase a 3-down deficit and win 3 & 1. Stone was 4-down at one point before winning six-straight holes and holding on for a 1-up victory.
- Peter Knade (MARY) def. Daniel Wetterich (OSU) 5 & 4
2. Will Grimmer (OSU) def. David Kocher (MARY) 2-up
3. Will Voetsch (OSU) def. Tim Colanta (MARY) 4 & 2
4. Kevin Stone (OSU) def. Evan Santa (MARY) 1-up
5. Chris Navarro (MARY) def. Caleb Ramirez (OSU) 2-up
6. Jeg Coughlin III (OSU) def. Bennett Buch (MARY) 3 & 1