COLUMBUS, Ohio – Senior Pat Elflein and sophomore Malik Hooker each picked up three more first-team All-America honors today: by ESPN this morning; the Associated Press early this afternoon; and by the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) this evening.
Junior H-back Curtis Samuel was awarded his second All-America first-team honor as well, today, with his inclusion on the Associated Press first-team as an all-purpose player.
Elflein and Hooker, one a first-time starter at a new position and the other a first-time starter this season, have now each been honored seven times as a first-team All-American, including by four of the five organizations – AP, FWAA, Walter Camp and The Sporting News – that the NCAA uses to determine consensus All-America status. The fifth team, selected by the American Football Coaches Association, will be announced Wednesday.
Two Ohio State freshmen were also honored: defensive end Nick Bosa, who had 25 tackles including seven tackles-for-losses totaling 36 yards with five of those quarterback sacks, was named to the ESPN true freshman All-America team. And Mike Weber, just the third freshman in Ohio State history to top 1,000 yards rushing with 1,072 yards and nine touchdowns, was named a freshman All-American by USA Today.
2016 Ohio State All-Americans
- Sr. OC Pat Elflein – Associated Press, FWAA, Walter Camp, USA Today, The Sporting News, ESPN, Sports Illustrated
- So. SAF Malik Hooker – Associated Press, FWAA, Walter Camp, USA Today, The Sporting News, ESPN, Sports Illustrated
- Jr. H-Back Curtis Samuel – The Sporting News
- Jr. OG Billy Price – Associated Press, Walter Camp, The Sporting News, Sports Illustrated
- Jr. LB Raekwon McMillan – Associated Press, Walter Camp, USA Today, The Sporting News, Sports Illustrated
- Sr. P Cameron Johnston – Associated Press, Walter Camp, USA Today, The Sporting News
- Jr. H-Back Curtis Samuel – FWAA
Buckeyes in the NFL - Divisional Round