COLUMBUS, Ohio – A dozen Ohio State football players were named today to the Big Ten Conference Academic All-Conference team. Headlining the list are Ohio State’s first-team Academic All-Americans Jacoby Boren and Jack Willoughby.
A total of 72 Ohio State Buckeyes in seven fall sports – women’s soccer (18 total honorees), football (12), field hockey (12), men’s soccer (12), women’s volleyball (8), women’s cross country (7) and men’s cross country (3) – received academic honors from the Big Ten. To be eligible for Academic All-Big Ten accolades, students must be in at least their second academic year, carry a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 or higher and be a letterwinner.
Boren earns the conference honor for a third time in a collegiate career full of academic achievement that also features National Football Foundation Scholar-Athlete distinction, two Academic All-America accolades, two Big Ten Conference Distinguished Scholar honors and four times being named an OSU Scholar-Athlete.
Willoughby, who graduated Magna Cum Laude from Duke last year with double degrees in economics and statistics, is currently pursuing a master’s from Ohio State in agricultural environmental and development economics.
Four Buckeyes are Big Ten Academic All-Conference for the third time in their careers: Joe Burger, Pat Elflein, Bryce Haynes and Cam Williams. Burger and Elflein are seniors academically and juniors in eligibility. Haynes graduated earlier this year with a degree in biology and has been enrolled in a psychology master’s program while he applies to medical schools. Williams is set to graduate on Sunday.
First-time honorees for outstanding academic pursuits are sophomore Dante Booker, graduate student Chase Farris, sophomore Sam Hubbard, senior Kato Mitchell, sophomore Sean Nuernberger and junior Aaron Parry.
Ohio State 2015 Academic All-Big Ten Conference
- So. LB Dante Booker – Sport industry
- Sr. C Jacoby Boren – Sustainable plant systems (3rd award)
- Sr. LB Joe Burger – industrial and systems engineering (3rd award)
- Sr. OG Pat Elflein – communications (3rd award)
- Gr. OT Chase Farris – Kinesiology
- Gr. LS Bryce Haynes – Psychology (3rd award)
- So. DE Sam Hubbard – Business finance
- Sr. WR Kato Mitchell – Sport industry
- So. K Sean Nuernberger – Information systems
- Jr. OL Aaron Parry – Biology
- Sr. LB Cam Williams – Communications (3rd award)
- Gr. K Jack Willoughby – Agricultural, environmental & development economics
Buckeyes in the NFL - Divisional Round