No. 2 Ohio State vs. No. 3 Michigan
Saturday, November 26th, 2016, Noon ET
Ohio Stadium (104,955), Columbus, OH
Chris Fowler (Play-By-Play)
Kirk Herbstreit (Analyst)
Sam Ponder (Sideline)
Tom Rinaldi (Sideline)
Radio: WBNS FM (97.1 The Fan) The Urban Meyer pregame show airs 30 minutes prior to kickoff. Paul Keels will call the action with former Buckeye Jim Lachey and Matt Andrews on the sidelines. The game can also be heard nationally on ESPN Radio and Sirius/XM College Sports Nation channel 84.
FIRST AND 10
- Saturday will be the 11th meeting with each team ranked in the Top 5 of the Associated Press poll (6-3-1 in favor of Ohio State).
- Ohio State has won four consecutive games over Michigan, which is tied for the fourth-longest winning streak in this series.
- Twenty-one (21) Ohio State seniors will experience their final home game Saturday.
- Ohio State is averaging 43.8 points per game, fifth-best in the FBS. The Buckeyes have totaled 482 points through 11 games this season, the fourth most in school history.
- Ohio State has allowed an average of just 7.3 points over the past three games. The Buckeyes lead the nation in pass efficiency defense (88.05) and rank second in defensive TDs (6), third in scoring defense (13.0), third in passing yards allowed (159.5), fourth in total defense (279.8), fourth in TO margin (+1.27) and fifth with 17 total interceptions.
- Ohio State’s defense has given up just 12 touchdowns this season and has allowed only four rushing touchdowns, both tied for the second fewest in the FBS.
- Mike Weber became just the third Ohio State freshman to rush for 1,000 yards after his 111-yard performance at Michigan State. Robert Smith (1990) and Maurice Clarett (2002) are the other two.
- J.T. Barrett, who holds the Ohio State career record for touchdowns responsible for (99), is seven shy of the conference record of 106 held by Purdue’s Drew Brees. Barrett leads the Big Ten with 24 passing TDs.
- Urban Meyer is 18-1 in the month of November at Ohio State and is 4-0 all-time vs. Michigan at Ohio State.
- Meyer has the highest career winning percentage (.854) among active coaches with at least 10 years at an FBS school.
THE GAME OF ALL THE GAMES
Ohio State vs. Michigan is always one of the great sports weeks in all of sports and that week is upon us. No. 2, 10-1 and 7-1 Big Ten East Ohio State hosts No. 3, 10-1 and 7-1 Big Ten East Michigan Saturday at 12 noon in Ohio Stadium. This is the 11th time the teams are playing with each team ranked in the Top 5 of the Associated Press poll (6- 3-1 in favor of Ohio State). This is the 113th game in a series that began in 1897. ABC will televise the game – as it almost always does – to a national audience with Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbstreit and Sam Ponder describing the action.
AN ALL-TIME RECORD CROWD?
Expect the Ohio Stadium record attendance of 108,975, set last year against Michigan State, to fall this week. And, since Ohio Stadium will actually decrease in attendance with the removal of 2,600 less-than-ideal seats in 2018 as part of a renovation project that will preserve and upgrade parts of the stadium, this could be an attendance record well into the foreseeable future.
Large Times in Ohio Stadium
Record crowd: 108,975 vs. MSU in 2015
Largest OSU/UM crowd: 108,610 in 2014
COLLEGE GAME DAY IS BACK
ESPN’s College Game Day will be in Columbus, neatly nestled in the area in the southeast corner outside Ohio Stadium and beneath the bell tower. That location is just for the first three-and-a-half hours, though. An extended, five-hour Game Day is scheduled for this week with the final 90 minutes to be aired at field level inside of Ohio Stadium near the southwest corner.
37TH TIME OHIO STATE AT GAME DAY SITE
This will be the 37th time Ohio State has played a game situated at a College Game Day site. Saturday will also mark the 15th time Ohio State has hosted Game Day. The Buckeyes are 10-4 when hosting.
B1G TITLE GAME RAMIFICATIONS
- Michigan controls its Big Ten championship fate. Win and the Wolverines represent the east division for the first time in the Big Ten title game against the west representative, either Wisconsin or Nebraska.
- Ohio State needs a win Saturday and a Penn State loss at home to Michigan State to advance to its third Big Ten title game.
- Penn State is also looking for its first Big Ten championship game experience and needs a win over the Spartans in a 3:30 p.m. game plus an Ohio State victory to advance.
OHIO STATE. MICHIGAN. THE RIVALRY
The Ohio State/Michigan game this week represents the 113th meeting between the teams and the 99th consecutive year the teams have played. While Michigan leads the all-time series with 58 wins against 47 losses and six ties, Ohio State has been victorious in 12 of the last 14 meetings. Note: all Ohio State records vs. Michigan exclude the vacated, 2010 victory in Columbus.
THIS SERIES ... SINCE WOODY
Michigan won 19 of the first 24 games (with two ties) in this series, which dates to 1897, but since the 1951 season and the arrival of Woody Hayes, Ohio State leads the series 35-27-2.
SOME SERIES STREAKS
Ohio State has won four consecutive games over Michigan, which is tied for the fourth-longest winning streak in this series. Michigan owns the longest such streak: nine games between 1901-09.
OSU/UM Series Win Streaks
9 – Michigan, 1901-09
6 – Ohio State, 2004-09
6 – Michigan, 1922-27
4 – Ohio State, 2012-current
4 – Michigan, 1988-91
4 – Ohio State, 1960-63
4 – Michigan, 1945-48
4 – Ohio State, 1934-37
RIVALRY BULLET POINTS
- Since Ohio State’s first win over Michigan in 1919, the series tilts in Ohio State’s favor by a 47-45-4 margin.
- Ohio State vs. Michigan has ended the regular season every year since 1935 except one: in 1942 Ohio State ended the season vs. the Iowa Seahawks.
- In 1950 the famous “Snow Bowl” game with Michigan was played in Columbus. Michigan won, 9-3, scoring a safety and a touchdown off blocked punts. Michigan’s Chuck Ortmann punted 24 times; Ohio State’s Heisman winning Vic Janowicz punted 21 times.
- In 1963 Ohio State defeated Michigan in Ann Arbor, 14-10, in a game that was delayed a week while the nation mourned the death of President John F. Kennedy.
- The Ohio State vs. Michigan rivalry was named the greatest rivalry of the 20th century by ESPN.com in 1999. Ali vs. Frazier was No. 2.
- Michigan has a Big Ten-best 42 conference championships; Ohio State is second with 35
HOME VS. AWAY
Ohio State is 25-27-2 vs. Michigan in Columbus and 22-31-4 vs. Michigan in Ann Arbor.
A LOOK BACK AT SATURDAY'S WIN OVER MICHIGAN STATE
Buckeyes in the NFL - Divisional Round