#8 Ohio State vs. Michigan
Saturday, November 25th, 2017, Noon ET
Michigan Stadium (107,601), Ann Arbor, Mich.
Gus Johnson (Play-By-Play)
Joel Klatt (Analyst)
Jenny Taft (Sideline)
RADIO: WBNS (97.1 The Fan). The Urban Meyer pregame show airs 30 minutes prior to kickoff. Paul Keels will call the action with former Buckeye Jim Lachey and Matt Andrews on the sidelines.
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio State and Michigan will meet for the 114th time on Saturday in the regular season finale for both teams at noon inside Michigan Stadium. For the first time in the storied rivalry, FOX will broadcast the game with Gus Johnson and Joel Klatt on the call and Jenny Taft on the sidelines.
Champions of the Big Ten’s East Division, the Buckeyes are 9-2 on the season and 7-1 in Big Ten play. Michigan, meanwhile, is 8-3 overall and 5-3 in the Big Ten.
In last week’s 52-14 win over Illinois, Ohio State celebrated Senior Day by jumping out to a 28-0 first quarter lead on the strength of two Mike Weber TD runs and a pair of touchdowns from senior QB J.T. Barrett (one rushing, one passing). The offense finished with 543 total yards, its ninth game this year surpassing the 500 yard mark. The Buckeyes also rushed for 300 or more yards in consecutive games for the first time since 2013 (vs. California and Florida A&M).
Defensively, the Buckeyes limited Illinois to just 105 yards of total offense and just 16 through the air. They also held an opponent to less than 100 yards rushing for the fifth time in the last six weeks. Safety Erick Smith and linebacker Chris Worley, both playing for the final time in Ohio Stadium, were the leading tacklers with six and five stops, respectively. Worley added a QB hurry and TFL to his stat line.
Setting the Stage: Buckeyes vs. Wolverines
- Ohio State is 21-2 in the month of November under Urban Meyer.
- In the last two weeks, redshirt sophomore RB Mike Weber has rushed 20 times for 270 yards and four touchdowns (13.5 yards/rush). Additionally, four of his 20 carries have gone for 20 or more yards.
- J.T. Barrett is 35-6 as a starter and just one victory shy of tying Art Schlichter as the program’s all-time winningst quarterback. Schlichter was 36-11-1 from 1978 through 1981.
- Barrett has completed touchdown passes to eight different receivers this season.
- J.K. Dobbins is 149 yards from breaking Maurice Clarett’s record of 1,237 yards rushing by an Ohio State freshman.
- The Buckeyes’ offense has totaled 500 or more yards of total yards in eight of the last nine games.
- In 113 previous matchups, only one Ohio State-Michigan game has ever gone to overtime: last year’s 30-27 thriller in front of a record crowd of 110,045 at Ohio Stadium.
- Saturday will be Ohio State’s 700th game as a member of the Big Ten Conference. In their 105th season, the Buckeyes own the league’s best all-time winning percentage at .736 (503-172-24).
Prior to last Saturday’s 24-10 setback at No. 5 Wisconsin, Michigan had won three games in a row and currently stands at 8-3 overall. The Wolverines own wins over Florida, Cincinnati, Air Force, Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers, Minnesota and Maryland.
Michigan has played three quarterbacks this year, as last year’s starter – Wilton Speight – started the first four games before leaving with an injury vs. Purdue. Fifth-year senior John O’Korn and sophomore Brandon Peters has also seen extensive action as well. Peters (37-for-64, 486 yards) has thrown a team-best four TD passes while O’Korn (66-for-124, 761 yards, one TD, five INT) has played in the most games (eight). The running back position has been handled by the tandem of Karan Higson (136 attempts, 874 yards, 10 TD) and Chris Evans (115 attempts, 594 yards, six TD). Tight End Sean McKeon had a team-best 27 receptions for 279 yards and two TD.
The Wolverines’ defense ranks No. 3 nationally and No. 1 against the pass. The unit is led by sophomore LB Devin Bush, who has 87 tackles, 9.5 TFL and five sacks on the season. In the secondary, sophomore Khaleke Hudson has a full line of stats with 68 tackles, 16.0 TFL, seven sacks, two INT and six PBU. Overall, the unit has four players with 10 or more TFL on the season.
Urban Meyer Press Conference 3/6/18