No. 5 Ohio State vs. Michigan State
Saturday, November 19th, 2016, Noon ET
Spartan Stadium (75,005), East Lansing, MI
Joe Tessitore (Play-By-Play)
Todd Blackledge (Analyst)
Holly Rowe (Sideline)
Radio: WBNS FM (97.1 The Fan) The Urban Meyer pregame show airs 30 minutes prior to kickoff. Paul Keels will call the action with former Buckeye Jim Lachey and Matt Andrews on the sidelines. The game can also be heard nationally on Sirius/XM College Sports Nation channel 84.
FIRST AND 10
- Ohio State and Michigan State have split the past six meetings, with the road team winning each regular season game since 2008.
- Ohio State is averaging 46.5 points per game, second in the FBS. The Buckeyes have totaled 465 points through 10 games this season, the fifth most in school history.
- Ohio State leads the nation in pass efficiency defense and ranks third in scoring defense (12.7 ppg), fourth in total defense (274.4 ypg), 11th in rushing defense at 111.6 ypg and eighth with 15 interceptions.
- Mike Weber is seeking to become the third Ohio State freshman to rush for 1,000 yards. Robert Smith (1990) and Maurice Clarett (2002) are the other two. Weber is just 65 yards from 1,000 with 935 yards.
- Curtis Samuel is the only FBS player with at least 600 rushing yards and 600 receiving yards.
- J.T. Barrett, who holds the Ohio State career record for touchdowns responsible for (98), ranks second alltime in Big Ten history, eight shy of the conference record of 106 held by Purdue’s Drew Brees. Barrett leads the Big Ten with 23 passing TDs on the season.
- Ohio State’s defense has given up just 10 touchdowns this season and has allowed just three rushing touchdowns, the fewest in the FBS. They also have scored six defensive TDs on the season, second best in the FBS.
- Ohio State’s tandem of safeties Malik Hooker and Damon Webb each had interception returns for touchdowns against Nebraska to increase the team’s pick-six total to a school-record six so far this season.
- Head coach Urban Meyer is an impressive 17-1 in the month of November at Ohio State.
- Meyer has the highest career winning percentage (.853) among active coaches with at least 10 years at an FBS school.
MEYER’S TEAMS IN NOVEMBER
Head coach Urban Meyer and the Buckeyes continued their dominating run in November with backto- back 62-3 victories over Nebraska and Maryland. Since Meyer’s arrival in 2012, the Buckeyes are an impressive 17-1 in the month of November, going 3-0 in 2012, 4-0 in 2013, 5-0 in 2014, 3-1 last season and 2-0 so far in 2016.
Meyer is 49-8 overall in his head coaching career in November.
OHIO STATE NO. 2 IN RANKINGS
Ohio State, which spent five weeks as the No. 2 team in both the Associated Press Top 25 and the Coaches Poll, is back at No. 2 in both polls this week after three consecutive victories and a season-long resume that includes or will include:
- A road win over current No. 6 Wisconsin
- A road win over current No. 8 Oklahoma
- A three-point road loss at current No. 9 Penn State
- A Top 10 win over current No. 20 Nebraska
- A 45-point win over 7-3 Tulsa
- A road game this week at Michigan State
- A season finale against current No. 4 Michigan
OHIO STATE. MICHIGAN STATE.
Ohio State and Michigan State will meet in East Lansing Saturday in what will be another sledgehammer of a game between teams that are deadlocked on the gridiron at two wins apiece over the last four years. Ohio State has won all five games this century in Spartan Stadium with the team’s last loss there coming in 1999, 23-7.
OSU vs. MSU Most Recently
2015 – MSU, 17-14 at Columbus
2014 – OSU, 49-37, at East Lansing
2013 – MSU, 34-24, at *Indianapolis
2012 – OSU, 17-16, at East Lansing
*Big Ten Championship Game
LAST 4 GAMES: 104 TOTAL POINTS APIECE
Ohio State and Michigan State have each scored 104 points in the last four meetings. MSU holds a slight statistical advantage in total offense in these four games – 392.7 yards vs. 364.2 – but the stats are primarily similar in these games. Consider:
- Turnovers are rare. Each team has three: two lost fumbles and one interception.
- MSU scored seven points off turnovers in 2014 and lost. Ohio State scored 14 points off turnovers last year and lost.
- Each team has had a tough rushing day: MSU had 34 yards and zero first downs rushing in 2012; Ohio State had 86 yards and one first down rushing in 2015.
- Red zones have been score zones. Ohio State is 13 of 13 in the red zone while Michigan State is 8 of 9 in the red zone.
DANTONIO 1 OF 4 WITH MULTIPLE WINS
Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio is one of only four coaches with multiple wins over an Urban Meyercoached team. Meyer is 163-28 in his 15th season as a head coach but only Dantonio, Nick Saban, Les Miles and Tommy Tuberville have had teams defeat a Meyer team more than once.
Meyer Versus …
- Les Miles (LSU) – 3-3
- Nick Saban (Alabama) – 2-2
- Mark Dantonio (Michigan State) – 2-2
- Tommy Tuberville (Auburn) – *1-2
- All other coaches – 155-19
*Ohio State defeated Tuberville’s UC Bearcats in 2014
465 POINTS: FIFTH IN SCHOOL HISTORY
Back-to-back 62-point scoring outbursts have increased Ohio State’s season points total to 465, a total that is already fifth-most in school history with at least three games left to play. The 46.5 points per game the team is averaging is second nationally.
Most Points, Ohio State – Season
1. 672 pts. 2014
2. 637 pts. 2013
3. 504 pts. 1998
4. 475 pts. 1995
5. 465 pts. 2016
MORE ON POINTS
Ohio State’s 124 points scored the past two games is the second-most points in a two-game stretch vs. Big Ten Conference opponents, trailing only the 131 points scored in back-to-back games vs. Iowa (83) and Minnesota (48) in 1950. The Ohio State all-games all-time record for most points in consecutive games is 142 twice: in 1996 vs. Rice (70) and Pittsburgh (72), and 1892 vs. Akron (62) and Marietta (80).
Most Points Consec. Games vs. B1G
|131||1950||83 Iowa and 48 Minnesota|
|124||2016||62 Nebraska and 62 Maryland|
|119||2013||63 Penn State and 56 Purdue|
|116||2013||56 Purdue and 60 Illinois|
|115||2012||63 Nebraska and 52 Indiana|
A LOOK BACK AT SATURDAY'S WIN OVER MARYLAND
Buckeyes in the NFL - Divisional Round