No. 6 Ohio State vs. No. 9 Nebraska
Saturday, November 5th, 2016, 8 p.m. ET
Ohio Stadium (104,955), Columbus, OH
Chris Fowler (Play-By-Play)
Kirk Herbstreit (Analyst)
Sam Ponder (Sideline)
Radio: WBNS FM (97.1 The Fan) The Urban Meyer pregame show airs 30 minutes prior to kickoff. Paul Keels will call the action with former Buckeye Jim Lachey and Matt Andrews on the sidelines. The game can also be heard nationally on Sirius-XM College Sports Nation, channel 84.
FIRST AND 10
- Saturday is the first meeting between the Buckeyes and the Cornhuskers since the 2012 meeting in Columbus, a 63-38 Buckeye victory.
- Ohio State is 15-4 in night games at Ohio Stadium and has won 13 of its past 14 night games overall.
- The Buckeyes rank sixth in the FBS in total defense (295.5) and fewest points allowed (15.1), fourth in TO margin (+1.25 per game), third in pass efficiency defense (93.5) and ninth in passing yards allowed (171.1). Offensively, Ohio State ranks 10th in the FBS and second in the Big Ten with 42.6 points per game
- Ohio State’s defense has given up just three rushing touchdowns on the season, tied for the fewest in the FBS
- J.T. Barrett ranks second in the Big Ten in total offense (275.8) and is third in passer efficiency (147.0). He is Ohio State’s all-time leader with 90 touchdowns responsible for, 62 passing and 28 rushing. Barrett’s 90 scores are the second most among active FBS players since the start of the 2014 season
- Curtis Samuel leads Ohio State with eight touchdowns on the season: five rushing, three receiving. He ranks third in the Big Ten with 137.1 all-purpose yards per game.
- Malik Hooker is one of 16 semifinalists for the Jim Thorpe Award, presented annually to the nation’s top defensive back.
- Linebackers Raekwon McMillan and Jerome Baker are semifinalists for the Butkus Award.
- Head coach Urban Meyer has the highest winning percentage (.852) among active coaches with at least 10 years of FBS coaching experience.
- Meyer is 35-13 in his career against Top 25 competition, including 14-3 at Ohio State. Against Top 10 teams, he is 17-6 in his career and 6-3 at Ohio State.
A TOP 10 MATCHUP:
OHIO STATE VS. NEBRASKA
It will be a Top 10 matchup this weekend in Ohio Stadium when No. 6 Ohio State and No. 9 Nebraska meet for just the fifth time in the storied histories of the two schools that are each playing their 127th season of football. Ohio State has won all three games in Ohio Stadium and leads the all-time series, 3-1.
Ohio State vs. Nebraska
2012 – Ohio State 63, Nebraska 38 (Columbus)
2011 – Nebraska 34, Ohio State 27 (Lincoln)
1956 – Ohio State 34, Nebraska 7 (Columbus)
1955 – Ohio State 28, Nebraska 20 (Columbus)
52-24 ALL-TIME AT NIGHT
The game against Nebraska will cap four consecutive night games for the Buckeyes. Ohio State is officially 52-24 all-time in night games (those starting after 5 p.m. local time), with records of 15-4 in Ohio Stadium and 37-20 in road (25-11) or neutral (12-9) games. Ohio State has won 13 of its past 14 night games.
Ohio State in Ohio Stadium at Night
Sept. 14, 1985 – Ohio State 10, Pittsburgh 7
Sept. 11, 1993 – Ohio State 21, Washington 12
Aug. 28, 1997 – Ohio State 24, Wyoming 10
Sept. 11, 1999 – Ohio State 42, UCLA 20
Oct. 6, 2001 – Ohio State 38, Northwestern 20
Aug. 30, 2003 – Ohio State 28, Washington 9
Sept. 10, 2005 – Texas 25, Ohio State 22
Oct. 25, 2008 – Penn State 13, Ohio State 10
Sept. 12, 2009 – USC 18, Ohio State 15
Oct. 29, 2011 – Ohio State 33, Wisconsin 29
Oct. 6, 2012 – Ohio State 63, Nebraska 38
Sept. 28, 2013 – Ohio State 31, Wisconsin 24
Oct. 26, 2013 – Ohio State 63, Penn State 14
Sept. 6, 2014 – Virginia Tech 35, Ohio State 21
Sept. 27, 2014 – Ohio State 50, Cincinnati 28
Nov. 1, 2014 – Ohio State 55, Illinois 14
Oct. 17, 2015 – Ohio State 38, Penn State 10
Nov. 7, 2015 – Ohio State 28, Minnesota 14
Oct. 29, 2016 – Ohio State 24, Northwestern 20
BUCKS: ONE OF TWO WITH TWO TOP 15 WINS
Ohio State is one of only two schools among the current top six schools in the nation to have two victories over current Top 15 teams. Ohio State has already defeated No. 8 Wisconsin and No. 12 Oklahoma with both wins on the road. Third-ranked Clemson has wins over No. 11 Auburn and No. 5 Louisville. Wisconsin is the only other Top 15 team with two Top 15 wins. The Badgers have defeated No. 15 LSU and No. 9 Nebraska.
STRONG STARTS & FINISHES VS.
Ohio State bounced back from its first loss of the season by defeating a solid and well-coached Northwestern team last weekend, 24-20. Head coach Urban Meyer, while admitting his young team is still a work in progress, was none-the-less pleased with a win that featured a nice balance of 208 rushing yards and 226 passing yards for 431 total yards. Ohio State opened the game with 17 points on its first three possessions, including an opening drive of 94 yards capped by a Mike Weber 1-yard run. Northwestern battled back to forge a 17-all tie entering the fourth quarter, but the Buckeyes responded nicely if not perfectly to put the game away:
- First … Curtis Samuel’s short touchdown run capped a 63-yard drive to put the Buckeyes up, 24-17. A key play was Barrett’s 34-yard strike to K.J. Hill on second and short to set up a first and goal situation.
- Second … Ohio State forced a Northwestern field goal on the ensuing possession that ate up 16 plays and over 6 minutes off the clock
- And finally … Following that NU field goal, J.T. Barrett led a game-ending drive that consumed 10 plays and the final 3:31 off the clock.
“I just love the way we finished it off,” Meyer said in his post-game press conference. ... “None of it was perfect. But we’re going to enjoy this one.”
MEYER’S TEAMS 23-5 AFTER A LOSS
Urban Meyer’s teams regroup, recover and get back to winning quickly after a loss. He’s lost only 28 times in 189 games and his teams are 23-5 in games following a loss. His teams have lost consecutive games only four times in 15 seasons and he has had just one three-game losing streak.
More Meyer Streaks:
- A school record 24-game winning streak
- Another 23-game winning streak
- An NCAA record 30 consecutive conference wins
- A school-record 20 consecutive true road victories
- A Big Ten record-tying 17 consecutive Big Ten road wins
MEYER IN FIRST-TIME COACHING MATCHUPS
The game Saturday will mark the first coaching matchup between teams coached by Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer and Nebraska coach Mike Riley, who is in his second year at Nebraska after a total of 14 seasons at Oregon State. Riley is the 108th different coach that Meyer will game plan against. Meyer is 92-15 in first-time coaching matchups.
NCAA RECORD 161 WINS
The win Saturday over Northwestern enabled Urban Meyer to set a major college coaching record with 161 wins through his first 15 years as a head coach. Bob Stoops held the mark with 160 wins through his first 15 seasons, all at Oklahoma.
A LOOK BACK AT SATURDAY'S WIN OVER NORTHWESTERN