Historical Society Dedicates Marker at Site of First OSU Home Football Game
Oct. 20, 2006
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio Historical Society held a dedication ceremony Friday in German Village, located south of downtown, to commemorate the site of Ohio State's first home football game Nov. 1, 1890 vs. the College of Wooster.
Karen Holbrook, Ohio State University president, Gene Smith, director of athletics, and Jim Tressel, head football coach, all addressed the audience at the corner of Whittier and Jaeger streets, site of the game at what was called Recreation Park in 1890.
The College of Wooster, which won the game 64-0, was represented by R. Stanton Hales, college president, and Keith Beckett, director of athletics.
On one side, the marker reads: "In the fall, life for many in Columbus revolves around Ohio State University football, from the first kickoff in September to the last play in November. O.S.U.'s first home game took place at 2:30 p.m. on November 1, 1890. The Ohio State University played the University of Wooster on this site, which was then called Recreation Park. Just east of historic German Village, the park occupied the north side of Schiller (now Whittier) between Ebner and Jaeger in what is now Schumacher Place. The weather was perfect, and the crowd reportedly included a number of women, who cheered loudly. Nonetheless, O.S.U. lost to Wooster, 64-0. Wooster, physically fit for the game, showed O.S.U. that training is critical to winning. The tradition of training continues. Today, on football Saturdays in Ohio Stadium on Woody Hayes Drive, the sound of an O.S.U. game can be heard around the world."
The other side of the marker lists the names of the coaches, captains and players on Ohio State's 1890 squad.