Sept. 26, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Remember those sleek, Nike "rivalry" uniforms Ohio State wore during last year's 26-21 victory over Michigan to cap an undefeated season? For Saturday's 8 p.m. game against Wisconsin ... they just may be back!
Coach Urban Meyer confirmed Thursday the team may wear a 2013 version of those Nike uniforms that hint back to the style worn starting in the 1967 season but that are typically referenced as the uniforms worn by the 1968 national champion Ohio State squad.
"The feedback from the rivalry game last year was incredible, not just from our players and recruits, but from Buckeye greats of old," Meyer said. "So there's a good chance we'll be wearing them."
The uniform's look feature:
- Scarlet jerseys with large gray numbers on front and back of the jersey and most noticeably on the shoulder pads;
- Names in black on the back;
- Gray pants with wider piping down the sides;
- Black stripe around the jersey sleeves;
- Seven Buckeye leaves along the back collar and a Block "O" on the front collar; and
- Wider scarlet, white and black stripe on a dull chrome helmet.
Meyer liked more than the look last year.
"I liked the result of the look," he said.
Ohio State is 4-0 wearing alternate, rivalry style uniforms with wins over Michigan in 2009 at Michigan Stadium (21-10) and in 2010 at Ohio Stadium (37-7), a win over Wisconsin in 2011 at Ohio Stadium (33-29) and an Ohio Stadium win over Michigan in 2012 (26-21).
"A Really Big Show"
Saturday is the birth date of entertainer Ed Sullivan (1901-1974), who would often say "we have a really big show for you tonight" to describe his upcoming variety show. Expect a really big show Saturday. While Sullivan's sidekick, the puppet Topo Gigio, won't make an appearance, there will be plenty of activity and excitement and electricity this weekend at Ohio Stadium:
- The Ohio State Athletics Hall of Fame will enshrine 14 new members at a dinner Friday at the Ohio Union followed by on-field recognition Saturday at halftime of the game. The class features:
- Former football coach John Cooper (1988-2000);
- Basketball great Scoonie Penn (1999-2000);
- Four-time All-American wrestler Tommy Rowlands (2001-04);
- Hockey's first two-time All-American, Hugo Boisvert (1997-99);
- All-American baseball pitcher Matt Beaumont (1992-94);
- Dan Chaney (Lacrosse, 1957-59);
- Jim Daniell (Football, 1939-41);
- Ninett Kossowsky (Rowing, 2002-06);
- Melissa Miller (Soccer, 2003-06);
- Saskia Mueller (Field Hockey, 2003-06);
- Laura Murray (Pistol, 1997-2000);
- David Pichler (Diving, 1989-92);
- Monica Rincon (Tennis 1999-02); and
- Coach James Sweeney (Pistol, 1986-87; 1999-present)
- Members of the 1993 Ohio State team that went 10-1-1 and won a Big Ten championship will be honored during the first/second quarter break.
- Basketball great and current Memphis Grizzlie point guard Mike Conley will be recognized at halftime.
- Four different national champions - the 2012 rowing team, pistol's Joe Totts, wrestler Logan Steibler and gymnasts Mike Newberger - will be honored during a first quarter time out.
- About 70,000 pompoms will be handed out on "A" concourse portals.
- Coaches from both teams will be wearing "Coach to Cure MD" patches to raise awareness and funding for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy research.
- High in the sky - relatively speaking - will be the blimp, Sky Cam and Musco lighting to help light up the night.
- ESPNU Road Trip, hosted by Ali Nejad and Niki Noto, will be visiting tailgates, exploring campus, interviewing Buckeyes and taping for a show to air next Wednesday at 7:30 p.m.
- And there will be pyro; lots of pyro.