Guiton, Shazier Named Big Ten Players of the Week
Junior LB Ryan Shazier
Sept. 16, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Kenny Guiton, this week's Walter Camp player of the week, was named the Big Ten Conference's offensive player of the week for his weekend efforts out west. He was joined on the honor roll by junior linebacker Ryan Shazier, who was named the conference's top defensive performer this past week.
Making his first career start, Guiton threw for three touchdowns in the first six minutes of the game to spark Ohio State to a quick 21-0 lead over California and finished with 368 yards of total offense and four touchdown passes in a 52-34 win Saturday at Cal's Memorial Stadium. Guiton connected with Devin Smith on a school-record 90-yard touchdown pass - the longest play from scrimmage in school history - on his second throw of the game and later hit Smith on a 47-yard touchdown pass, Chris Fields on a 1-yarder and Corey Brown on a 6-yard play to give Ohio State a 45-20 lead in the third quarter. When he wasn't handing off to Jordan Hall, who carried 30 times for 168 yards and three touchdowns, Guiton was rushing it himself for 92 total yards. He led a Buckeye offense to a three-year high 608 yards of offense, the most ever for an Urban Meyer coached Ohio State team. Guiton completed 21 of 32 passes for 276 yards with four touchdowns and no interceptions (or sacks).
Despite leaving the game for a while in the second quarter with an injury, Shazier returned to the game and ended up leading the Buckeyes in tackles with 12 while the team held California, No. 1 in the nation in passing coming into the game, more than 100 yards below its national average. Shazier also had a quarterback sack and a forced fumble. His efforts earned Shazier the third Big Ten defensive player of the week award of his career.
Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week
Kenny Guiton, Ohio State
Sr., QB, Houston, Texas/Eisenhower
- Completed 21 of 32 passes for 276 yards and four touchdowns, all career highs, to lead Ohio State to a road win at California in his first career start
- Gave the Buckeyes a quick 21-0 lead in the first six minutes, throwing three touchdowns, including a 90-yarder to Devin Smith, the longest play from scrimmage in school history
- Also finished with 14 carries for 92 yards, helping Ohio State to 608 yards of total offense, the most under Urban Meyer
- Records his first career weekly honor
- Last Ohio State Offensive Player of the Week: Carlos Hyde (Oct. 8, 2012)
Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week
Ryan Shazier, Ohio State
Jr., LB, Plantation, Fla./Plantation
- Led the Buckeye defense with 12 tackles, including 10 solo stops, in Ohio State's road win against California
- Was part of an Ohio State defense that held the California passing offense, which was ranked first in the nation entering the weekend, to 100 yards below its season average
- Also forced a fumble and recorded a sack
- Claims his third career Defensive Player of the Week honor
- Last Ohio State Defensive Player of the Week: John Simon (Nov. 19, 2012)
First Two Kick Off Times Announced