Eight Will Serve as Ohio State Game Captains
Aug 27, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio State coach Urban Meyer announced Tuesday after practice that eight student-athletes will serve as Ohio State game captains for the 2013 season with a decision coming at the end of the year as to who will be recognized as the season's official team captains.
"It's the first time I've done something like this," Meyer told the team before calling up, one-by-one, the young men who will lead the Buckeyes into each game this year, beginning Saturday at noon against Buffalo. "We had eight individuals receive a lot of votes, and all were within 12 votes of each other. So they'll lead us into each game as captains and at the end of the year a decision will be made as to who will be the season's captains."
And then he proceeded to call to the front of the team seven of the eight, with one absent because of class. Ohio State's eight game captains are:
- Fifth-year senior left tackle Jack Mewhort, a consumer and family financial services major from Toledo and St. John's High School;
- Fifth-year senior strong safety C.J. Barnett, a criminology major from Dayton and Northmont High School;
- Senior free safety Christian Bryant, a sociology major from Cleveland and Glenville High School;
- Fifth-year senior quarterback * Kenny Guiton, a consumer and family financial services major from Houston, Texas, and Eisenhower High School;
- Junior quarterback Braxton Miller, a communications major from Huber Heights and Wayne High School;
- Junior linebacker Ryan Shazier, a psychology major from Pompano Beach, Fla., and Plantation High School;
- Fifth-year senior center Corey Linsley, an economics major from Youngstown and Boardman High School; and
- Senior wide receiver Corey Brown, a criminology major from Upper Darby, Pa., and Cardinal O'Hara High School.
Scarlet & Gray Super Sunday