July 15, 2016
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio State quarterback J.T. Barrett and middle linebacker Raekwon McMillan have each been named as one of 40 "players to watch" for the Walter Camp Football Foundation's Player of the Year award, the organization announced today. The award is the nation's fourth-oldest individual college football accolade.
The distinction places Barrett on the preseason watch lists of three prestigious national awards as he was previously named to the Maxwell Award watch list, which honors the player of the year, and the Davey O'Brien quarterback of the year watch list.
McMillan is now on four prestigious lists as his Camp honor follows his being named to the watch list for the Bednarik Award (defensive player of the year), Nagurski Trophy (defensive player of the year) and the Butkus Award.
Both Barrett and McMillan have already been designated as a team captain for the 2016 season by head coach Urban Meyer. A third captain - center and two-time all-Big Ten pick Pat Elflein - has been named to his share of "watch lists" as well: the Rimington Trophy (nation's outstanding center), Outland Trophy (interior lineman) and to the Allstate AFCA Good Works Team.
In all, nine Buckeyes have combined for 17 watch list mentions.
Buckeyes on 2016 Watch Lists
- CB Jarrod Barnes - Wuerffel Trophy
- QB J.T. Barrett - Maxwell Award, Davey O'Brien Award, Walter Camp
- LB Dante Booker - Butkus Award
- OC Pat Elflein - Rimington Trophy, Outland Trophy, Allstate AFCA Good Works Team
- P Cameron Johnnston - Ray Guy Award
- DE Tyquan Lewis - Bednarik Award, Nagurski Trophy
- LB Raekwon McMillan - Bednarik Award, Nagurski Trophy, Butkus Award, Walter Camp
- OG Billy Price - Outland Trophy
- H-Back Dontre Wilson - Paul Hornung Award
Draft Day: Denzel Ward