July 8, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Maxwell Football Club, presenters of the prestigious Maxwell Award and the Bednarik Award, announced its initial 2013 watch lists for each award today and five Ohio State Buckeyes are under consideration:
- Junior quarterback Braxton Miller (Maxwell Award watch list);
- Senior running back Carlos Hyde (Maxwell Award);
- Senior safety C.J. Barnett (Bednarik Award watch list);
- Junior cornerback Bradley Roby (Bednarik Award); and
- Junior linebacker Ryan Shazier (Bednarik Award).
The Maxwell Award, named in honor of Robert W. "Tiny" Maxwell, has been given to America's College Player of the Year since 1937. The Bednarik Award has been presented to the College Defensive Player of the Year since 1995.
Semifinalists for the Maxwell and Bednarik Awards will be announced Oct. 29, while the three finalists for each award will be unveiled Nov. 18. The winners of the 2013 Maxwell and Bednarik Awards will be announced as part of the Home Depot ESPNU College Football Awards Show held on Dec. 5. The formal presentations of these awards will be made at the Maxwell Football Club Awards Gala hosted by Harrah's Entertainment Atlantic City on March 7, 2014.
The watch list candidates have been chosen by the Maxwell Football Club's selection committee, which analyzes both past performance and future potential.