May 12, 2014
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio State, which had 27 of its former players on Week 1 rosters at the start of the 2013 NFL season last year, could add to that total considerably later his year as 14 more Buckeyes will be vying for NFL roster positions this spring and summer via the NFL Draft, free agent signings and invites to team mini camps.
Six Buckeyes were selected in the 2014 NFL Draft, held May 8-10 at Radio City Music Hall in downtown New York, and eight more Buckeyes confirmed Monday that they will heading to NFL minicamps as either signed free agents or camp invites.. The 14 include:
2014 Ohio State Draft Picks & Free Agent Signings
- LB Ryan Shazier - taken in the first round of the NFL Draft by Pittsburgh with the 15th pick
- CB Bradley Roby - taken in the first round of the NFL Draft by Denver with the 31st pick
- RB Carlos Hyde - taken in the second round of the NFL Draft by San Francisco with the 57th pick
- OL Jack Mewhort - taken in the second round of the NFL Draft by Indianapolis with the 59th pick
- OC Corey Linsley - taken in the fifth round of the NFL Draft by Green Bay with the 161st pick
- SAF Christian Bryant - taken in the seventh round of the NFL Draft by St. Louis with the 241st pick
- SAF C.J. Barnett - to the New York Giants
- K Drew Basil - to the Atlanta Falcons
- WR Corey Brown - to the Carolina Panthers
- WR Chris Fields - to the Washington Redskins
- QB Kenny Guiton - to the Buffalo Bills
- RB Jordan Hall - to the Pittsburgh Steelers
- OG Marcus Hall - to the Indianapolis Colts
- OG Andrew Norwell - to the Carolina Panthers
Ohio State / NFL Notes & Numbers ...
- Ohio State led all Big Ten Conference teams with six draft picks, a number that ranked fifth nationally according to early post-draft analysis by ESPN.com.
- First-round selections Ryan Shazier and Bradley Roby increased Ohio State's number of first-round draft picks to 69, second most among all schools.
- Since 1967 (when the NFL and AFL drafts merged into one), Ohio State has had a first-round pick in 30 drafts (56 total first-rounders) and the program has not gone more than three years without having a player selected in the first round.
- Ohio State is one of only three schools (USC and Notre Dame) to have at least 400 NFL draft picks; the Buckeyes have had 411 players selected in an NFL draft.
- The six draft picks this year give Ohio State 28 drafts with at least five players selected.
- 14 players drafted - 2004
- 13 - 1975, 1971
- 11 - 1976
- 9 - 2006,
- 8 - 2007, 2002, 1999, 1995, 1988, 1981, 1974
- 7 - 2009, 1997, 1984
- 6 - 2014, 2001, 2000, 1978, 1972, 1952
- 5 - 2011, 2003, 1994, 1987, 1977, 1973, 1955
- All four senior offensive linemen starters from the 2012-13 campaigns will be in NFL camps this spring and all four have graduated from Ohio State.
- Ohio State has had 51 players chosen in the NFL draft in the last 10 years, including:
- 13 first-round picks;
- 26 selections in round Nos. 1 through 3; and
- A bunch of linebackers (13), defensive backs (12) and offensive skill (WR/RB/QB; 12) players chosen.
OT Encore: Send Us Your Beat TTUN Videos