May 8, 2014
COLUMBUS, Ohio - All-American Ryan Shazier, the 6-2, 237-pound linebacker who had 306 tackles and 44.5 tackles-for-loss in three seasons with Ohio State, was selected Thursday night with the 15th pick in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Shazier is the 68th Ohio State Buckeye to be selected in the first round of the NFL Draft - and the first since Cam Heyward was selected by Pittsburgh in 2011 - and he is the ninth Buckeye linebacker to be chosen in the first round. Only USC, with 77 first-round draft picks, has more than Ohio State.
Ohio State's First-Round Linebackers
|2014||Ryan Shazier - No. 15 to the Pittsburgh Stelers|
|2006||A.J. Hawk - No. 5 to the Green Bay Packers|
|2006||Bobby Carpenter - No. 18 to the Dallas Cowboys|
|1999||Andy Katzenmoyer - No. 28 to the New England Patriots|
|1995||Craig Powell - No. 30 to the Cleveland Browns|
|1979||Tom Cousineau - No. 1 to the Buffalo Bills|
|1977||Bob Brudzinski - No. 23 to the Los Angeles Rams|
|1974||Rick Middleton - No. 13 to the New Orleans Saints|
|1974||Randy Gradishar - No. 14 to the Denver Broncos|
Shazier, who was majoring in psychology, started 28 games for the Buckeyes between 2011 and 2013 and played in 38. He opted to bypass his senior season and declare for the draft following Ohio State's 12-2 campaign in 2013. His Buckeye career was full of accomplishment and achievement.
- He was named first-team All-American in 2013 by the Associated Press, USA Today, ESPN.com and Sports Illustrated and he was a Butkus Award finalist.
- He tied Big Ten Conference career and season records for defensive player of the week honors (five and three in 2013, respectively).
- In 2013 he ranked second nationally in solo tackles (101) and third nationally in TFLs (22.5).
- He led the Big Ten with 143 tackles this past season and he tied school records for solo tackles (16) and TFLs (five) vs. Indiana.
- He ranks 15th at Ohio State with 306 total tackles and joins an elite list of players, including James Laurinaitis, A.J. Hawk, Chris Spielman and Pepper Johnson, to lead the Buckeyes in tackles in consecutive years.
- He ranks sixth at Ohio State in solo tackles (201) and tackles-for-loss (44.5) and was on a pace to set school records in both had he played one more year in Columbus.
Shazier was an early enrollee (January 2011) into classes at Ohio State. He was part of the 2011 signing class that included Braxton Miller, Michael Bennett, Jeff Heuerman, Curtis Grant, Doran Grant, Joel Hale, Devin Smith and Even Spencer.
Ohio State Postgame Quotes
📷 Scenes From Saturday: Nebraska 🏈
Ohio State Football Postgame Notes