COLUMBUS, Ohio - Eight student-athletes who signed national letters of intent with Ohio State in the initial December signing period last month have made their way to Columbus and are enrolled in spring semester classes.
The new Buckeyes include:
• QB Matthew Baldwin, from Austin, Texas and Lake Travis High School;
• CB Sevyn Banks, from Orlando, Fla., and Jones High School;
• LB Dallas Gant, from Toledo and St. John's Jesuit;
• CB Tyreke Johnson, from Jacksonville, Fla., and Trinity Christian Academy;
• OL Matthew Jones, from Brooklyn and Erasmus Hall High School;
• RB Master Teague, from Murfreesboro, Tenn., and Blackman High School;
• DT Tommy Togiai, from Pocatello, Idaho, and Highland High School; and
• OT Max Wray, from Franklin (Tenn.) High School.
A couple of freshman walk-ons have also joined the program: Zaid Hamdan is a defensive lineman from Mason, Ohio and Mason High School; and Dominic DiMaccio is a kicker from Columbus and DeSales High School. DiMaccio is a spring 2017 graduate who was at the University of Missouri last fall.
The eight spring semester enrollees from the recruiting class represent the second-largest class of early enrollees for Ohio State, after the nine who enrolled in January last year. Six of those nine saw action for the Buckeyes during the 2017 season.
2017 Season: 14 True Freshmen Played
A total of 14 true freshmen saw action this season for the Buckeyes, a total that ties for the most true freshmen to play in one season in coach Urban Meyer's six years as Ohio State coach. Ten of those individuals played in at least 10 games this season. The total also marks the fourth time in Meyer's six seasons that at least 10 true freshmen have played.
Most True Freshmen Playing for Ohio State
2017 - 14
2012 - 14
2014 - 10
2013 - 10
2016 - 6
2015 - 4
Freshmen Stats Stuffers
Second-team all-Big Ten running back J.K. Dobbins lead the way for the 2017 freshmen class with a school record total of 1,403 yards rushing and 14 starting assignments. He also caught 23 passes and scored nine touchdowns. Defensive end Chase Young played in 12 games and was the leading tackler among his classmates with 19 tackles, including 6.0 tackles-for-loss and 3.5 quarterback sacks. True freshmen played at virtually every position this season for the Buckeyes.
The Freshmen Experience
• RB J.K. Dobbins - 1,403 rush yards and seven TDs; 23 receptions; team-best 1,538 all-purpose yards
• DE Chase Young - 12 games played; 19 tackles, 6.0 tackles-for-loss, 3.5 quarterback sacks
• OT Thayer Munford - 12 games played and more than 200 snaps
• CB Jeffrey Okudah - Played in all 14 games with 17 tackles and nearly 400 plays
• LB Baron Browning - 12 games played with 14 tackles including 1.5 TFLs
• CB Amir Riep - Played in all 14 games and totaled 10 tackles with one interception and one PBU
• SAF Isaiah Pryor - Played in all 14 games recorded 13 tackles, one QB sack and two PBUs
• LB Pete Werner - Played in 11 games and totaled nine tackles
• CB Marcus Williamson - Played in 10 games and recorded six tackles
• K Blake Haubeil - Kicked in 13 of 14 games
• DT Haskell Garrett - Played in eight games and had three tackles
• WR Jaylen Harris - Caught two passes for 27 yards and played in three games
• SAF Brendon White - Played in five games
Urban Meyer Press Conference 3/6/18