Dec. 8, 2013
Photo Gallery | /Buckeyes | @OhioStAthletics | @Brutus_Buckeye
No. 10 Michigan State 34 (12-1, 8-0 B1G), No. 2 Ohio State 24 (12-1, 8-0 B1G)
Lucas Oil Stadium - Indianpolis, Ind.
Dec. 7, 2013
- The Buckeyes were held scoreless in the first quarter for the first time since their game at Penn State in 2012.
- Braxton Miller went over 5,000 yards passing in his career with 101 yards through the air against the Spartans.
- Miller also went over 8,000 yards of total offense in his career with 243 Saturday night. He joins Art Schlichter as the only Buckeyes to accomplish the feat.
- The 142-yard rushing game marked the 14th 100-yard game of Miller's career.
- Michigan State came into the game averaging 2.2 yards per carry. Ohio State averaged 6.8 yards on the ground Saturday against the Spartans.
- Carlos Hyde went over 3,000 career rushing yards after gaining 118 on the ground against the Spartans.
- Saturday marked the fourth-consecutive game Miller and Hyde each tallied over 100 yards rushing.
- C.J. Barnett's third-quarter interception was the seventh of his career and third this season.
- The Ohio State defense has at least one interception in 11 of 13 games this season.
- Ryan Shazier recorded his fourth-consecutive double-digit tackle game.
BIG TEN CONFERENCE POSTGAME NOTES
- Tonight's attendance of 66,002 is a Big Ten Football Championship Game record.
MICHIGAN STATE (12-1)
- Tonight's victory gives Michigan State its eighth Big Ten title and first since 2010. The Spartans' 12th win of the season is a school record. Michigan State will make its first Rose Bowl appearance since 1988.
- This is just the second Michigan State win over Ohi
- State in the last 10 meetings, but both wins have come in the last three matchups (10-7 in 2011). It is the Spartans largest margin of victory over Ohi
- State since a 23-7 win in 1999.
- Michigan State became the first team this season t
- hold Ohi
- State scoreless in the first quarter. The previous season low for the Buckeyes was three points at Iowa on Oct. 19.
- QB Connor Cook's 72-yard touchdown pass t
- WR Keith Mumphery in the second quarter is the longest touchdown pass in Big Ten Football Championship Game history. It is als
- a career-long reception for Mumphery and Cook's second touchdown pass of the season of 70 or more yards (87-at Northwestern).
- Cook finished with 304 yards through the air, his first career 300+-yard passing game.
- K Michael Geiger set a Big Ten Football Championship Game record with his 40-yard field goal t
- open the scoring in the first quarter. His tw
- field goals is als
- the most ever in a Big Ten Football Championship game.
- SS Isaiah Lewis finished with a career-high 13 tackles.
- RB Jeremy Langford finished with 128 yards rushing, his eighth-straight 100+-yard rushing game.
- Michigan State was 2-for-2 on fourth-down conversions tonight and is 9-of-14 for the season.
OHIO STATE (12-1)
- The Buckeyes' loss snapped the nation's longest winning streak at 24 games. Prior t
- tonight Ohi
- State's last loss came on Jan. 2, 2012 vs. Florida (24-16).
- QB Braxton Miller finished with 142 yards rushing, the most by a quarterback in Big Ten Football Championship Game history.
- Miller finished with 101 yards passing, becoming the ninth player in Ohi
- State history t
- top 5,000 career passing yards, ending tonight with 5,058 for his career. He becomes the second Buckeye t
- top 8,000 total offense yards (8,077), joining Art Schlichter (8,850).
- Miller finished with tw
- touchdowns on the ground and one through the air, marking the first time in Big Ten Football Championship game history a quarterback has both thrown and run for a touchdown.
- SS C.J. Barnett's third-quarter interception was his fifth career INT and first this season. Ohi
- State has at least one INT in 11 of 13 games this year,
- State is 57-of 60 in Red-Zone scoring opportunities this year, including 4-for-4 tonight.
- State outscored Michigan State 14-3 in the third quarter tonight and has outscored opponents 142-41 in the third quarter this year.
- For the fifth time this year and fourth-straight game the Buckeyes had tw
- 100-yard rushers in Miller (142) and RB Carlos Hyde (118). The tw
- ran for 100+-yards each at Iowa; at Illinois; vs. Indiana and at Michigan.
Urban Meyer Postgame Press Conference
Ohio State Football Postgame Notes
Ohio State Postgame Quotes