Postgame Notes From No. 4 Ohio State vs. Purdue
Nov. 2, 2013
/Buckeyes | @OhioStAthletics | @Brutus_Buckeye
No. 4 Ohio State 56 (9-0, 5-0 B1G), Purdue 0 (1-7, 0-4 B1G)
Ross-Ade Stadium - West Lafayette, Ind.
Nov. 2, 2013
- Ohio State holds the nation's longest winning streak at 21 games, the second-longest in school history (2005-06, 2002-03). The longest is 22 games from 1967-69.
- The 56-point margin of victory marked the largest in the series history between Ohio State and Purdue. The previous largest was 46 in a 46-0 Ohio State win in 1977.
- The 22-game win streak by Urban Meyer-coached teams (Florida 2010 and Ohio State 2012-13) ties a personal best for Meyer (Florida 2008-09).
- Ohio State recorded its second shutout of the season Saturday after defeating Florida A&M 76-0 Sept. 21. The last time the Ohio State defense tallied multiple shutouts in a season was 2009 (vs. Toledo, Illinois and New Mexico State).
- With the touchdown on its opening drive, Ohio State has scored on a Big Ten-best eight opening drives. The six opening-drive touchdowns also are a conference best.
- Ohio State finished the game with 640 yards of total offense. It marked the fourth time this season the Buckeyes have gone over 600 yards offensively.
- Doran Grant scored his first-career touchdown when he returned an interception 33 yards in the first quarter. The interception marked Grant's third interception of the season and fourth of his career.
- Grant's interception return 57 seconds into the game was Ohio State's quickest score of the year.
- The interception return for a touchdown was the first for Ohio State since Ryan Shazier returned an interception 17 yards for a touchdown at Penn State Oct. 27 of last season.
- Jeff Heuerman's 40-yard touchdown reception in the first quarter was the longest catch of his career.
- With his touchdown pass to Heuerman, Braxton Miller became the fifth Big Ten player in the BCS era to record at least 40 passing touchdowns and 20 rushing touchdowns in a career.
- Nick Vannett's eight-yard touchdown catch in the first quarter was the first touchdown reception of his career.
- The game marked the first time two Ohio State tight ends caught a touchdown pass in the same game since Rory Nicol and Jake Ballard achieved the feat against Indiana in 2006.
- After tallying a 28-0 lead through the first quarter Saturday, Ohio State is outscoring its opponents 171-38 in the opening quarter this season.
- Heuerman tallied the first 100-yard receiving game by an Ohio State tight end since Rickey Dudley recorded 106 receiving yards against Tennessee in the 1996 Citrus Bowl. Heuerman's 116 yards are the most by an Ohio State tight end since John Frank recorded 123 at Michigan in 1983.
- Ezekiel Elliott's 10-yard touchdown reception in the second quarter was the first touchdown catch of his career.
- The game marked the first time Ohio State scored at least 40 points in back-to-back first halves since 1996 against Rice (42) and Pittsburgh (52).
- With 111 rushing yards, Carlos Hyde went over 100 yards rushing for the fourth time this season and 10th time in his career.
- Shazier tied his career-best with three tackles for loss (at Wisconsin, 2012).
- Kenny Guiton's 98 rushing yards marked a career high, eclipsing his previous high of 92 at California earlier this season. It also marked the second-consecutive game Guiton rushed for two touchdowns.
- The Ohio State defense has an interception in every game this season and 10-consecutive games dating back to last year.
- The six sacks by the Ohio State defense marked a season high.
🏈 Fall Camp Central
🏈 Fall Camp Tweetcap
Fall Camp Spotlight: Jamarco Jones
Fall Camp Spotlight: Noah Brown