Ohio State vs. Penn State - Game Notes
Photo Gallery | Highlights | Postgame Press Conference | Postgame Transcript
GameDay Magazine | /Buckeyes | @OhioStAthletics | @Brutus_Buckeye
OHIO STATE FOOTBALL POSTGAME NOTES
No. 4 Ohio State 63 (8-0, 4-0 B1G), Penn State 14 (4-3, 1-2 B1G)
Ohio Stadium - Columbus, Ohio
Oct. 26, 2013
- Ohio State holds the nation's longest winning streak at 20 games, the second-longest in school history (2005-06, 2002-03). The longest is 22 games from 1967-69.
- Saturday's attendance of 105,889 marked the fourth-largest crowd in Ohio Stadium history.
- With the touchdown on its opening drive, Ohio State has scored on a Big Ten-best seven opening drives. The five opening-drive touchdowns also are a conference best.
- Ohio State rushed for 408 yards vs. the Nittany Lions, the first time the team rushed for 400-499 yards in a game since Nov. 4, 1989 at Northwestern (456).
- Ohio State's 63 points Saturday against Penn State marked the most points scored by the Buckeyes against the Nittany Lions. The previous high was 45 in a 45-6 win Sept. 23, 2000.
- Saturday's game marked the first time Braxton Miller has run for multiple touchdowns and passed for multiple touchdowns in the same game.
- Miller set a career high with 252 yards passing. His previous high was 249 against California in 2012. It was his third-consecutive game with 200-plus yards passing.
- Miller tied his career high by accounting for five touchdowns (three passing, two rushing) in the game vs. Penn State. He also was responsible for five touchdowns against California in 2012.
- Miller moved into fifth all-time in Ohio State career passing touchdowns with 39.
- Corey Brown's interception in the first quarter was the first of his career.
- After tallying a 14-0 lead through the first quarter Saturday, Ohio State is outscoring its opponents 143-38 in the opening quarter this season.
- The 147-yard rushing game by Carlos Hyde marked the ninth time he has topped 100 yards rushing in his career.
- Dontre Wilson's 26-yard touchdown reception in the third quarter marked the first receiving touchdown of his career.
- The game marked the second time this season Ohio State has tallied five rushing touchdowns. The first came Sept. 21 against Florida A&M.
- Tyvis Powell had a career-best seven tackles vs. Penn State, topping the six he had at Northwestern.
- Ohio State had 414 yards in the first half, the first time the team had 400-plus yards in a half since Oct. 23, 2010 vs. Purdue (415).
- The Buckeyes did not commit a turnover for the second week in a row. The squad has eight turnovers this season.
- Ohio State has not allowed a 100-yard rusher yet this season. Penn State's Bill Belton finished the game with 98 yards on the ground.
PENN STATE FOOTBALL POSTGAME NOTES
- Penn State now has a 13-16 on-field record vs. Ohio State and is 7-10 at Ohio Stadium since their first meeting in 1912.
- Penn State has scored in 152 straight games - including the postseason - dating back to on Oct. 6, 2001 shutout loss to Michigan, 20-0, which is a school record streak. The Nittany Lions streak had been 138 games from 1973-84.
- The 63 points are the third most allowed by a Penn State team. The Nittany Lions allowed 106 points at Lehigh on Nov. 11, 1889 and allowed 64 points to the Duquesne Athletic Club on Nov. 25, 1899.
- The 63 points allowed are the most allowed by Penn State since 1900. It is only the third time since 1900 that the Nittany Lions allowed 50-plus points. Penn State gave up 51 points to West Virginia on Oct. 29, 1988 and allowed 55 points to Navy on Oct. 7 1944.
- Penn State allowed a school record 686 total yards against Ohio State. That broke the previous record of 656 against Boston College in 1982, a 52-17 Nittany Lion win.
- S Jesse Della Valle made his first career start on Saturday at Ohio State. He is the 11th player to make his first career start during the 2013 season.
- QB Tyler Ferguson set career-highs in passing yards (125), completions (seven) and passing attempts (11).
- RB Bill Belton made his first start of the season and the sixth of his career. It was his first start since Oct. 27, 2012 against Ohio State at Beaver Stadium.
- Belton ran for 98 yards on 22 carries, the most rushing yards allowed by Ohio State this season. Melvin Gordon of Wisconsin ran for 74 yards.
- WR Allen Robinson moved into sixth on the career receptions chart, passing O.J. McDuffie's 125 catches from 1988-92. Robinson's 12 catches give him 135 career receptions. He now trails
- Robinson 173 yards mark the fifth 100-yard receiving game this season for the junior.
- Robinson now has seven career 100-yard receiving games, tying him with O.J. McDuffie for fourth in school history. He trails only Bobby Engram (16), Joe Jurevicius (9) and Bryant Johnson (8).
- Robinson's 12 catches tie a career-high, which set on Oct. 5, 2013 at Indiana, and are the second most in school history. The record is held by Freddie Scott with 13 catches for 110 yards vs. Wisconsin in 1995.
- Robinson's 173 yards are tied for the eighth highest total in a single game in school history, with his 173 yards receiving at Indiana on Oct. 5, 2013, and tied for the second-highest total in his career (197 vs. Indiana, 2012).
- LB Ben Kline's recorded his first career sack and second career tackle for loss in second quarter. Kline had 0.5 TFL against Syracuse in the season opener.
- DB Jordan Lucas posted his first career double-digit tackle game, making 11 stops. His previous career-high was nine tackles at Indiana on Oct. 5, 2013.
- S Jesse Della Valle made a career-high nine tackles, besting his previous high of three stops against UCF on Sept. 14, 2013.
- LB Brandon Bell made a career-high five tackles
- PK Sam Ficken had converted at least one field goal attempt in 11 straight games before not attempting a field goal at Ohio State on Saturday.
- Penn State will return to Beaver Stadium next weekend to take on Illinois on Saturday, Nov. 2. The game is scheduled for a Noon kickoff and will be televised on ABC, ESPN or ESPN2.
Patriot Week: Day Three Recap
Patriot Week: Day Two Recap
Patriot Week: Day One Recap